Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Found Out My Coin Album Has PVC

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 391Next Topic
Page: of 2
Canada
5 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2021  2:03 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TheGreatOne1115 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am a casual coin collector, and I have been collecting coins for about a year. A couple of days ago, I found out about PVC and what it can do to coins. It turns out that the coin albums that I've been keeping most of my collection in have PVC. Luckily, none of my coins have started to corrode yet. From what I've heard, PVC causes some sort of gel to form on coins before they corrode. Is this gel obvious, or is it sort of hard to notice, and if so, what should I look for? If I have any coins with gel on them, what should I do with them? Also, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a brand of coin album that I can use to replace mine.
Learn More...
United States
102028 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2021  2:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

You will want to get those coins out of the album and rinse them with pure acetone (100% pure, from a hardware store, not nail polish remover). Acetone will remove any organic residue and not harm the coins. You can soak them in acetone first and then rinse them off with fresh acetone. Dot not rinse with water. The acetone will air dry faster than water and anything other than distilled water will leave impurities behind as it evaporates.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3439 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2021  2:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with jbuck
Pillar of the Community
United States
1926 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2021  3:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ratman4762 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
From what I've heard, PVC causes some sort of gel to form on coins before they corrode. Is this gel obvious, or is it sort of hard to notice, and if so, what should I look for?

I had some coins in plastic flips containing pvc. The smell of (plastic I guess) was strong and the coins had a tacky/sticky feel to them.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15576 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2021  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you give us the brand name of those coin albums for our YN's to whatch out for ?
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
4750 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2021  3:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tell us the name of the albums you have been using so we avoid recommending them.
Edited by ijn1944
07/20/2021 3:28 pm
Canada
5 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2021  3:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheGreatOne1115 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for your help. I will make sure to rinse the coins with acetone.

Quote:
Can you give us the brand name of those coin albums for our YN's to whatch out for ?

The albums' brand was AiTime. I can post a link to its Amazon page if you'd like.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20281 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2021  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

How did you find out they had PVC?
just carl
Canada
5 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2021  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheGreatOne1115 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How did you find out they had PVC?

When I found out what PVC does to coins, I checked the Amazon page where I ordered them from to see if my albums had it and it said they did. It claimed PVC was safe for coins, but evidently, that's not true.
Learn More...
United States
102028 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2021  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PVC on its own is not the problem. PVC in it native rigid form, like that used for water pipes, is quite safe. The problem comes from the plasticizers added to PVC to make it soft and flexible for coins. Over time it breaks down the PVC polymers and creates the 'goo' that attacks our coins.

So to paraphrase Ben Kenobi... What they said is true, from a certain point of view. PVC may be safe, but it this application (with the additives) it can be quite deadly for coins.
Canada
5 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2021  11:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheGreatOne1115 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting. Thanks for the info.
Learn More...
United States
102028 Posts
Canada
17 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  10:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numisnut1960 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Further to this subject...how does one determine if the cardboard 2x2's are PVC or not? I have some old ones, ten years or more, and new ones.
Learn More...
United States
102028 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  09:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have never personally seen a cardboard 2x2 that used PVC. They have been made with MylarŪ (BoPET) or other polyethylene plastics as long as I can recall, but others may have some experience with past PVC use in them.

I would guess that PVC in a 2x2 would have the same "shower curtain" smell and be thicker and less "crinkly" than MylarŪ.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
586 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2021  09:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The blue/brown Uni-Safe albums contain PVC. I had these as a kid and they wrecked a lot of my copper coins. It wasn't really an issue with silver or nickel coins. They continue to sell these albums and people continue to buy them as they are the cheapest ones available for Canadian collectors and it is easy to get coins in and out of them. A number of years ago I upgraded to the Kaskade albums when they first came out. They are a little more expensive, but nicer looking and a lot safer for coins.

From my experience cardboard 2x2's have not been an issue. I've seen coins that have been in them for 40+ years and they still seem completely fine.
Canada
5 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2021  11:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheGreatOne1115 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A number of years ago I upgraded to the Kaskade albums when they first came out. They are a little more expensive, but nicer looking and a lot safer for coins.

I'll check into these. Thanks!
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 391Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05