Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Walking Back In Time From 1600 To Antiquity By Decades (V3.0)

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 608 / Views: 17,695Next Topic
Page: of 41
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5234 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2021  10:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, let's get that pageboy look out of the way

Here is a grossone of the Duchy of Ferrara from the reign of Duke Ercole I (1471-1505), MIR257.

Obv: +HERCULES.DVX.FERARIAE
Rex: +*DEVS.FORTITVDO.MEA* (The Lord is my strength)
I have seen this variant attributed to a specific date in the 1470s (1475 I think) by some auction houses, but I've never found the source of that attribution. This is a young bust of Ercole, so it is at least likely to be from the early decades of his reign.
Pillar of the Community
United States
769 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2021  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MartiVltori to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
**Not specifically attributable to this decade.**

Ferdinand & Isabella (1474 - 1504)
1474 - 1504, Cuenca, 18mm, 0.98g, 180°, Cayon 2240 ff
Obv: FERNANDVS ET EL ISABET. Crowned monogram.
Rev: REGINA CAST LEGION. Crowned monogram

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5234 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2021  9:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love those monograms! And Spain has been under-represented here. Neat coin.
By chance, each of my four collecting themes provide coins that have a starting date in the 1470s, or a date range in the 1470s (or are dated in the 1470s). So I will add more few till we move on to the 1460s since we've already got contributions that move us back, (and mine will get sketchier after this decade).

Here is a Matthiasgroschen of the city of Goslar, Germany. 1.8 g., 24 mm. BBK#10 (I was lazy when I took the photos a few years ago and never bothered to improve them).

This type is dated as "from 1470"; a new type appears around 1490.
There are many varieties of this type, differing in the spelling of the city name (GOSLARI, GOSLARIE, GOSLARIEN), letter styles for the m's and n's, punctuation, etc.
Obv: Eagle facing left. oMONETAoNOVAoGOSLARIEN'
Rev: Standing figure of St. Matthias, axe in left hand, bible in right. SANCTVS oMAThIAS
According to Christian scripture, Saint Matthias was the 13th apostle. He replaced Judas Iscariot shortly after CHrist's (and Judas') death.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5234 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2021  05:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And since the 1460s may soon be upon us (and since I picked this coin up after the 5th "How Far Back," but did not get to post it in the 6th), I'll post my earliest dated coin thus far (and maybe ever), this briquet from the County of Flanders, dated 1474, Levinson II-15:

Obv: Lion holding shield with quartered Burgundy coat of arms, KAROLVS DEI GRA DVX BVRG CO F
Rev: Floriate cross with small fleur-de-lis (Bruges mintmark) in center, BENEDIC HEREDITATI TVE
Edited by tdziemia
10/06/2021 06:06 am
Learn More...
United States
108286 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2021  08:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
And since the 1460s may soon be upon us (and since I picked this coin up after the 5th "How Far Back," but did not get to post it in the 6th), I'll post my earliest dated coin thus far (and maybe ever), this briquet from the County of Flanders, dated 1474, Levinson II-15:
Excellent!

The 1460s... when we get to see what "HFBCWG?" has yet to show.
Learn More...
United States
21998 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2021  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Super coins @tdz. I think I have one more that I want to post on this decade. How about if we drop back starting Friday morning so that folks can have a little time to post any remaining coins that they would like to?
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5234 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2021  07:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
the era of Renaissance Page Boy haircuts, wars of roses, Medicis and Louis the Spider.

We covered the pageboy haircut on Sunday; for the 1460s, I have a coin issued under Cosimo de Medici, the first Medici ruler of Florence (I hope others can step up to cover War of the Roses and Louis the Spider ).
Republic of Florence, 1 soldino that can be dated to 1463 by the mark of mintmaster Quirico di Giovanni Pepi. 15 mm, 0.65 g. MIR 94/3.
Coins minted in Florence would not bear the title or portrait of a Medici until Alessandro de Medici in the 1530s.

Edited by tdziemia
10/08/2021 07:34 am
Valued Member
United Kingdom
244 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2021  2:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnConduitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think this counts as being from the Wars of the Roses, although anything from England from this, the last and the next decades would be.

Edward IV First Reign Light Coinage Groat, 1465-1466

Tower. Silver, 3.06g. Class Vd. Mintmark Rose. Quatrefoils by neck, nothing on breast, EDWARD DI GRA REX AnGL Z FRAnC (Edward by the grace of God King of England and France). CIVITAS LONDON (City of London), +POSVI DEVM ADIVTOREM MEVM (I have made God my helper), extra pellet under civi (S 2000).

The rose mintmark dates it to 1464-6 or 1468-9, while Type V was struck early, with a particularly large number of Type Vd struck. The quatrefoils by the neck (not annulets) date it to the second issue.
Edited by JohnConduitt
10/08/2021 5:00 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2428 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2021  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow!.....That's a nice looking coin!..Lovely portrait..
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
934 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2021  12:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, so many great coins! That groat is lovely, @JohnConduitt!

My coin today is by another King of France , and while it cannot be narrowed down to a single decade, I don't want to withhold it from you. It is certainly not my most beautiful coin, but the depiction of a dolphin - by someone who has never seen one - has an irresistible charm.

France 1467-83, liard, Louis XI, Troyes. Billon, 1.03 g, 19.5 mm. Duplessy 560, Lafaurie 543, Roberts 3681.

Obv: Dolphin (well ...).
Inscription: LVDOVICVS FRANCORum REX (Louis King of the Franks).
Point under the 14th letter ('C') for Troyes.

Rev: Cross with fleurs-de-lys and crowns.
Inscription: SIT NOMEn DomiNI BENEDICTVm (Blessed be the name of the Lord).
Point under the 14th letter ('E') for Troyes.

A liard equalled 3 deniers tournois and this is the first liard from the French royal domain. Liards had by then been minted for a hundred years in the province of Dauphiné, which for historical reasons minted for the heir apparent to the French crown (so sort of a feudal minting). All those liards showed a dolphin looking like this, copied from the coat of arms of Dauphiné. When the royal domain copied the denomination, the design followed along.

Coat of arms of Dauphiné. (C) Matthieu Riegler, Wikimedia Commons, CC-BY (cropped)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1048 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2021  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EddieDiz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a recent purchase;a 1463 B-S Hungarisn Denar under King Mattias Corvinus;Huszar 706,Unger 566c,Rethy 206-3.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5234 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2021  8:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice variety this decade.
Sorry to interrupt the animal theme (dolphin, crow) ...

but I realized I have a coin from this decade that relates to @JohnC's gorgeous Edward IV groat...and also @princetane's comment on War of the Roses.

Duke Charles "the Bold" (or "the Rash") of Burgundy was an ally of Edward IV during the War of the Roses. He was married to Margaret of York, Edward's younger sister. He provided refuge for Edward in Holland and Flanders during his exile of 1470-1471. And he gave military aid to Edward in his successful bid to regain the crown. (Unfortunately, Charles was less successful in his own military ventures, dying in battle in January, 1477 while trying to capture Lorraine for his never-to-be Kingdom of Burgundy).
His portrait by Rogier van der Weyden circa 1460, a few years before he inherited the title from his father (edit: yikes! sorry it's so large):

Now the coin! Here is a double patard (=2 stuiver or 4 gros) of the Duchy of Brabant issued in Charles' name (most of the Low Countries were under Burgundian rule at this time). The coin cannot be dated narrower than 1468-1474.

Obv: Quartered arms of Burgundy. KAROLVS DEI GRA DVX BG BRA Z LIM (Charles, by God's grace Duke of Burgundy, Brabant and Limburg)
Rev: Floriate cross. SIT NOMEN DOMININ BENEDICTVM AM (Blessed is the name of the Lord, amen).
Edited by tdziemia
10/09/2021 8:07 pm
Learn More...
United States
21998 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2021  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that we've had some amazing coins posted for this decade. Well done everyone!

Here is a Goldgulden from the German Electorate of Pfalz that was minted in 1464 AD. The mint was in the town of Bacharach and this coin has pedigree to the Eberhard Link collection. Sorry for the difference in coloration of my pics. I really struggle taking decent pics sometimes.

-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5234 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2021  10:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I recently re-did photos of a gold coin I have for next decade because the ones I had looked washed out and more like silver... I think they are especially susceptible to lighting.

Very cool coin.

Learn More...
United States
21998 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thx @tdz. Yes I suppose if I bought more gold coins then I'd need to spend more time figuring out how to take better pics.
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz
Page: of 41 Previous TopicReplies: 608 / Views: 17,695Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: