Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Walking Back In Time From 1600 To Antiquity By Decades (V3.0)

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 367 / Views: 10,268Next Topic
Page: of 25
Pillar of the Community
United States
1025 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EddieDiz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A couple of 1461's (close but no cigar for 1460).

1461 C-I Hungarian Denar under King Matthias Corvinus;Huszar 702,Unger 554c,Pohl 202-2. Double struck.

1461 h-S Hungarian Denar under King Matthias Corvinus;Huszar 702,Unger 554g,Pohl 202-5. It has a point over the S in the mint mark.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5149 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  11:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did someone say it's almost time for the 1450s?
Learn More...
United States
21437 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  07:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes good point @tdz. Let's have last call on this decade today and then drop back starting tomorrow am.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Learn More...
United States
21437 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a last one for me from this decade. It is a 2 Pfennig from the German Countship of Pfalz-Mosbach that was minted between 1460 and 1462. This uniface coin was minted in Nuerenberg and is attributed as Shulten 2737.

-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5149 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2021  12:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My only coin from this decade that can attributed to a specific year is this Venice grosso issued in the reign of Doge Francesco Foscari (1423-1457), Biaggi 2873. The initials m B for mint supervisor Marco Barbarigo can be used to date it to 1450.

Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3676 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2021  2:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This uniface coin was minted in Nuerenberg
Is that supposed to be Nürnberg, or some other place?

Here's my uniface Nürnberg pfennig, which is very similar in style, though obviously a different type. I think it's usually attributed to 1457-1464, but apparently different catalogs vary.
I apologize for the rotated picture. It was definitely the right way up when I uploaded it, and for several years after that for that matter.

Learn More...
United States
21437 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2021  3:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Nürnberg

Yep sometimes I forget about the added umlaut functionality.

Nice coin though!
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz
Valued Member
Russian Federation
77 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2021  4:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Grinya to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Found this Ottoman Manghir of Mehmed II (Amasya mint) year 855 (1451)

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5149 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  07:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This Lion d'Or of the Duchy of Brabant (Burgundian Netherlands) minted at Mechelen/Malines is dated at 1454-1456 by some auction houses, and 1454-1460 by others. Ref. Witte 470, Friedberg 29

Valued Member
United Kingdom
147 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  08:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnConduitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Everyone has a lot of interesting coins. I have nothing for the 1450s but there's plenty to admire.

Quote:
Is that supposed to be Nürnberg, or some other place?

In English we regularly mangle foreign-language place names.

Nuremberg (note the m as well as the extra e) - Nürnberg.
Florence - Firenze.
Vienna - Wien.
Cologne - Köln.
Moscow - Moskva.

Plus many Indian cities, although we actually named the cities with our garbled interpretations (Bombay - Mumbai, Madras - Chennai).

I thought it was to do with not being able to pronounce or spell words in other languages, but some are easy to pronounce in English:

Milan - Milano.
Naples - Napoli.
Rome - Roma.

Some make no sense at all:

Marseilles - Marseille. (It's not the 's' that makes spelling or pronouncing Marseille difficult).

This seems to be particularly the case with places that we dealt with historically rather than only more recently. We've corrected a few, like Peking - Beijing, and after the Indians changed their city names to something more suitable, we changed them too.

We're not alone, though. London gets called Londres, Londın and Londen.
Edited by JohnConduitt
10/16/2021 08:19 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5149 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  09:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In English we regularly mangle foreign-language place names.
Nuremberg (note the m as well as the extra e) - Nürnberg.
Florence - Firenze...

To be fair, this is an equal opportunity affliction of all nationalities (not just Anglos).

I've been looking through auction archives recently to research coins of Florence and I need to search on not only Florence and Firenze but also Florenz (German).

Likewise for Flanders, one needs to check both Vlaanderen and Flandre.

And for Silesia, you will miss quite a bit unless you search under both Schlesien and #346;l#261;sk (Polish).

Probably we could have a whole thread on this
Pillar of the Community
United States
1025 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  2:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EddieDiz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

1455 B-L/star Hungarian Denar under King Ladislaus V (billon);Huszar 664 var.,Unger 523 var.,Pohl 157-2 var. This mint mark isn't listed in any of the catalogues that I know of.

Learn More...
United States
21437 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great coins so far! Here is perhaps my most rare dated coin (7-10 collectable pieces extant): a Kreutzer from the Austrian Duchy of Wiener Neustadt dated 1459 AD. Despite the unappealing flan cracks, you should be able to make out much of the obv and rev inscriptions: FRIDERIC RO IMPERA and ANNO DOMINI 1 & 7 9, where the ampersand is my attempt to make a medieval number four. It is attributed as Levinson IV-7 and Szego 2L35.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
872 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No 1450s (or 1440s) from me, but lots of interesting coins from others!

Love that Lion d'Or, @tdziemia!
Learn More...
United States
21437 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2021  07:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is another Kreutzer, but from the Austrian Duchy of Styria. It is dated 1458 AD and attributed as Levinson IV-5a. The obv legend is FRI D G RO IMPERATOR while the rev legend is MONETA IN GREZ 1&78. Both the 4 and 5 are obsolete forms.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz
Page: of 25 Replies: 367 / Views: 10,268Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: