Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Walking Back In Time From 1600 To Antiquity By Decades (V3.0)

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 363 / Views: 10,177Next Topic
Page: of 25
Learn More...
United States
21437 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2021  8:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So fun to post these dated coins from the 1450s as our OFEY thread may never get back this far!

Here is a Groschen from the German Archbishopric of Cologne dated 1450. It was minted at Riehl and is attributed as Levinson I-90. The date is in Roman Numerals as M CCCC L. A recent pick-up for me, so this is my first time posting it.

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5148 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2021  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really enjoying these dated coins from decades we never reached on How Far Back! Please keep 'em coming.

Those St. Peter coins from the Rhine area might be the only way I will move back to earlier dated coins than my 1474. Thus far I have resisted the urge, but my willpower in numismatic decisions kinda sucks these days, so it probably won't be long.
Learn More...
United States
21437 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2021  07:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Please keep 'em coming.

This French Gros de Roi isn't dated, but based on the minting records is datable to 1455 AD (second emission). It was minted for Charles VII in Montpelier and is attributed as Duplessy 518.

-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5148 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since this is a decade we've never seen on How Far Back, I'm scoring it like this so far for specific years:

1459 - Dated coin @spence
1458 - Dated coin @spence
1455 - Attributable coin @EddieDiz, @spence
1451 (=AH855) - Dated coin @grinya
1450 - Dated coin @spence, attributable coin @tdz

Half the dates in this decade covered this far back is pretty good!
Learn More...
United States
21437 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  8:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is one that is attributable to 1454 AD: A Schilling of the German Bishopric of Würzburg. The obv inscription is MON ARGENT PRINCIPVM while the rev inscription is SANCVS KILIANVS. I have it attributed as Ehwlad 5607.

Another COVID pick-up for me.
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5148 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  07:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Another COVID pick-up for me

I've got one of those for next decade! Maybe COVID pick-ups are also contagious
Learn More...
United States
106572 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  09:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Since this is a decade we've never seen on How Far Back, I'm scoring it like this so far for specific years... Half the dates in this decade covered this far back is pretty good!
That is amazing!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1024 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  1:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EddieDiz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another one attributable to 1455 that I missed.

1455 K-P Hungarian Denar under King Ladislaus V;Huszar 664,Unger 523a,Pohl 187-5,Rethy II-182.

Learn More...
United States
21437 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  5:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice one @eddie! While we are in Hungary, here is my Denar datable to 1457. It is attributed as Huszar 668 and Frynas H.33.37.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3676 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  01:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome coins everyone! I think I might have one more possibly-1450s coin, but I'll have to take a pic of it.

Looks like we're only missing three years now: 1456, 1453, and 1452 (and 1460 of course). IIRC the 1440s are far better covered though.
If the date attributed to my coin is its actual date (I couldn't read it anywhere, but I might need to take the coin out of the 2x2 for better pics), it would fill one of those holes.
Learn More...
United States
21437 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  07:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@j1m, good summary and insight. In my OFEY collection, the coverage of the 1440s (9/10) is also better than it is for the 1450s (7/10).

Here is a Pfennig from the Habsburg Duchy of Styria dated 1456 AD. It was minted at Graz and is the first partially dated coin using a modern number 5 (albeit this number is sideways, and a bit hard to see on this coin as the periphery didn't strike up particularly well). It is attributed as Levinson IV-2 and Szego 2L20.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5148 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  12:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm still at just one dated/datable per decade for this part of the 15th century.
And that's a neat fact about the 5 on that coin.

Since 1452 looks to be a missing date, there are a couple of Italian coins I am aware of that can be assigned to that year. (the usual suspects).
Edited by tdziemia
10/22/2021 12:52 pm
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3676 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Since 1452 looks to be a missing date
I might as well reveal: the date on the label for my supposedly-1450s coin translates to 1452.

1453 will probably be an interesting one. AFAIK neither 1453 nor 1452 is attested among AD coin dates.
Learn More...
United States
21437 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2021  2:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok while we are waiting on @j1m's 1452 coin to be posted, here is something else from this decade (1457 to 1463 AD to be exact). This Groschen was minted at Colditz for the German Duchy of Saxony, but has a very pronounced countermark on the reverse from Erfurt. I think that the obv inscription is F DI GRACIA TVRINGE LANG and the rev inscription is something like M GROSSVS IIARCH IIISIIENSIS. The host coin is attributed as Krug 1153.60.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
872 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2021  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This French Gros de Roi isn't dated

Doesn't matter, it still wets my mouth!

Quote:
F DI GRACIA TVRINGE LANG ... M GROSSVS IIARCH IIISIIENSIS

An undeciphered Latin inscription also wets my mouth a bit.

The obverse: You read it correctly, it translates to Frederick by Grace of God Landgrave of Thuringia.

The reverse: GROSSVS MARCH MISNENSIS = Grossus from Margraviate of Meissen.
The initial M (or T?) is maybe a mint mark.

Nice coins from all you!
Page: of 25 Previous TopicReplies: 363 / Views: 10,177Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: