Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Walking Back In Time From 1600 To Antiquity By Decades (V3.0)

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 594 / Views: 17,251Next Topic
Page: of 40
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2246 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  3:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a wonderful thread packed with interesting coins, detailed attributions and historical information.
Valued Member
Russian Federation
141 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  4:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Grinya to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@january1may, yes, I have quite a lot of Golden Horde coins starting from this period, but far not of them may be dated to an exact year.

@JohnConduitt, Pulad Khan coins are really hard to be found in decent conditions... I have a few of them which may be attributed to 1407-1410, but all of them has no date on the flan...

Reading the rules I see that I can upload one coin per post and wait until someone add another coin, so I will start with dated one:

Timurid Tanka of Muhammad Jahangir and Khalil-Sultan (Samarqand mint) 810AH (1408) Album-2391 RR

Edited by Grinya
11/27/2021 4:05 pm
Valued Member
Russian Federation
141 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Grinya to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And just to fill the gap for the 1410 from the previous decade I will breach the rules and post this Golden Horde Dang of Timur-khan (Ordu mint) with the visible date 812AH (1410)

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5232 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  6:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There are a couple flan cracks, so I'm definitely not using this one as a pocket piece!

Since I was a materials scientist in a previous life, I can tell you that drilling a small hole at the tip of the crack will stop it from propagating
Learn More...
United States
21955 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yikes @tdz!
And those are two more great additions to this thread@grin.

It has been a little while since I've posted anything from Italy, so I'm excited to share this Denaro from the Italian City State of Aquileia. It is datable to the range 1402-1411 AD. The obv inscription is ANTONIVS PATRIARIA and the rev inscription is AQV ILE GEN SIS. Somehow I managed to bid on and win a couple different examples of this, but this coin has slightly better remaining details compared with the other. Both are attributed as Biaggi 191.

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
Russian Federation
141 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  02:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Grinya to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also I recently found this Ottoman Manghir (Interregnum) of Suleiman Celebi dated 806 (1404). I don't really collect them and expect to swap it soon, but since it is still with me and it is dated I'll post it here:

Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3764 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  06:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome coins, yet again! Though of course the "do I still have this?" question makes the listing of gaps somewhat tricky.

That aside, current situation... turns out AH date conversion in this range is more complicated than I thought...

1409 - Grinya (812 AH = May 1409-May 1410)
1408 - apparently none yet (would be 811 AH)
1407 - tdziemia, Grinya (810 AH = Jun 1407-May 1408)
1406 - none yet (would be 809 AH)
1405 - Spence
1404 - Grinya (806 AH = Jul 1403-Jul 1404)
1403 - tdziemia, Spence
1402-0 - none yet

I'm not sure if the converter I found is using Julian or Gregorian dates (...probably Gregorian), but AFAICT it's not quite close enough to matter for any of the specific years I listed (it's 807 and 808 AH where things get tricky).

EDIT: wait, @Grinya's 812 AH coin is Timur Khan, so it would be 1410. If it was Pulad Khan with the same date it would have been 1409. I said conversion was tricky.
Edited by january1may
11/28/2021 06:46 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5232 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is a Polish coin attributable to 1408, Kopicki 359 and Pawlikowski type XI. I bid on a nice one earlier this year, but got beat. Maybe I'll have one by the next time through.

There are also Florence grossi attributrable to specific dates in this decade, with 1406 being one of the least rare. Not that this means they are cheap. (I think @spence is also on the lookout for these ... maybe ANOTHER COVID pickup? )
Edited by tdziemia
11/28/2021 11:20 am
Valued Member
Russian Federation
141 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  02:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Grinya to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have one more coin which may be attributed to an exact year - the 810AH = 1407 - this is the Golden Horde dang of Pulad khan Rajan mint. the coin is in quite bad conditions and the date is off-flan, but according to Sagdeeva and Zeno these coins were minted only with the date 018 = 810

Edited by Grinya
11/29/2021 03:44 am
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3764 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  07:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If it was Pulad Khan with the same date it would have been 1409.
Turns out @JohnConduitt's coin over on page 20 is likely to be this; cf. Zeno 129807, with a clear date (but apparently a different obverse type).

In principle it could be read 811 but AFAICT there aren't any 811 dated Bulgar coins of Pulad Khan. The date is retrograde and the 8 apparently upside down, and I can't account for the bit at 6h (on the Zeno coin this area is too badly struck to tell if it's there), but if it's a date (and it's in the right place to be a date) it's either that or a normal 812 in normal direction with a very slanted 1.

OTOH the Sagdeeva 492 illustration looks very tempting...
Valued Member
Russian Federation
141 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  09:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Grinya to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The @JohnConduitt's coin from the page 20 is dated 912 AH. It is a part of the 2 visible (it can't be 0) + it looks to be type 9z from the article of V.P. Lebedev

Article is available here (in Russian)
Edited by Grinya
11/29/2021 09:17 am
Learn More...
United States
21955 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  11:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm really happy with the diversity of coins that we are generating with this thread. Well done all!

Here is a Gros from the French Bishopric of Metz. It is datable to the years 1406 to 1415 AD and is attributed as Roberts 8932. It is my last coin for this decade, but I'm excited to see what else will be posted before we drop back again.

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
Russian Federation
141 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Grinya to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One more coin was posted, therefore I can add one more coin from my collection (according to the rules:))

I don't have dated coins from this decade anymore, therefore I will post the most mysterious one. This is a Golden Horde Dang with Shadi Beg khan name on the both sides of the coin - mule coin or imitation or something else. No scientific attribution yet...

Shadi Beg rule was at 13991407, therefore it shall fit this decade.

Valued Member
United Kingdom
234 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  2:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnConduitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you @Grinya and @january1may. This is some hardcore attribution here, dealing in many languages and obscure references...

Quote:
The @JohnConduitt's coin from the page 20 is dated 912 AH. It is a part of the 2 visible (it can't be 0) + it looks to be type 9z from the article of V.P. Lebedev

AH912? (I can imagine I was 100 years out...).
9z looks exactly right. The article seems to be saying there are 3 different Bulgar mints, but I will settle for the correct date...
Edited by JohnConduitt
11/29/2021 2:58 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
931 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here is a Gros from the French Bishopric of Metz

Very interesting coin. I was wondering what the "thing" above St Stephen's head was - I thought maybe an ermine, having seen those around here - but a bit of research (ahem, googling ) shows it is actually manus Dei (God's hand).

Also interesting because around this time of year it is a Swedish tradition to sing a carol about St Stephen and the star of Bethlehem (more precisely on Dec 13, St Lucy's day, when we also sing carols to honor that saint). (A bit more "research" shows that our Stephen carol is also sung in English speaking countries, with the title Saint Stephen Was A Clerk - with the same message but somewhat different text it seems.)
Page: of 40 Previous TopicReplies: 594 / Views: 17,251Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: