Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Walking Back In Time From 1600 To Antiquity By Decades (V3.0)

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 863 / Views: 29,322Next Topic
Page: of 58
Valued Member
Russian Federation
231 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Grinya to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, I have some dated coin from this period. Some of the recent acquisition which I even haven't added to my catalog and haven't decided if I want to leave them in the collection or not:)).

Let's start with this Timurid AR tanga, Timur with Mahmud, Damghan mint 799AH (1397). Date may be read from the right to the left

Edited by Grinya
12/03/2021 4:38 pm
Learn More...
United States
23193 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  8:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice one @grin!

This Grosso o Pegione is from the Italian City State of Milan. It is datable to the range of 1395 to 1402 AD. The obv legend is GALE HZ VICECOES D MEDIO LAN13C GZ and the rev legend is S ABROSIV MEDIOLAN. I have it attributed as Biaggi 1475. At some point in the last 500+ years, it developed a bit of a bend, which isn't very visible in these pics.

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
Russian Federation
231 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  04:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Grinya to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Spence, Snake is an interesting motif for the European coin.

From my end I can post one more Timurid AR tanga of Timur with Mahmud, this time Yazd mint dated at 797AH (1395)

Also fully visible date at the center of the coin
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5390 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  07:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Snake is an interesting motif for the European coin.

This is the gruesome emblem of the Visconti family, which ruled Milan in the 13th-15th centuries:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visco...jan-2007.jpg

Upthread I commented that 1390s were not a decade of much coining in the Low Countries, but this was only true for the southern parts (Brabant and Flanders). It turns out that the County of Holland under Albrecht of Bavaria issued a number of new types in the 1390s:
1 groot (shield type), emission of 1390/1391. Grolle 18.1.2
1 groot (eagle type), emission of May, 1393. Grolle 18.3.2
1/4 groot, emission of 1395. Grolle 18.4.4

If anyone wants a look, I did a search on acsearch using the terms Holland Albrecht groot. There are also a couple of recent sales findable on coinarchives.
Learn More...
United States
23193 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  11:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes thx and here is my last coin to post for this decade. Also, thx @tdz for posting that info about the Visconti family.

This uniface Pfennig from Austria is datable to the range of 1395 to 1404 AD. It was issued by King Albrecht IV and features a ram's head left as the sole design element. I have it attributed as Szgeo 164a. There is an unfortunate edge chip at the top of the coin. While this didn't happen over the past 18 years that it has been in my possession, it still seems to be fairly recent.

-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
Russian Federation
231 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Grinya to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have one more Timurids coin dated 793AH (1391) - also Timur with Mahmud....

This is my last dated coin for this decade...
Learn More...
United States
23193 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  07:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Anything more from the 1390s? Let's have a last call and plan to drop back to the 1380s starting Monday am.
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
1049 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  02:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Then I get to open the next decade!

France 1385-89, blanc ("guénar"), Charles VI. Billon (0.479 silver), 2.55 g, 25.2 mm. Duplessy 377, Lafaurie 381, Roberts 2981.

Obv: Royal coat of arms in a shield.
Inscription: KAROLVS FRANCORVm REX (Charles King of the Franks).

Rev: Cross with crowns and fleurs-de-lys.
Inscription: SIT NOMEn DomiNI BENEDICTVm (Blessed be the name of the Lord).

Mint unknown, this is before the introduction of mintmarks in the form of "secret points" in 1389. Value set at 10 deniers tournois.

In 1385, Charles VI introduced new coin types, this blanc nicknamed "guénar" being one of them. This first emission was to be followed by later ones, with steadily decreasing silver content.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5390 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  07:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice!

And a shout out to @grinya for his great coverage of the 1390s!

I have just one coin this decade that is attributable to a single year, this 1 gros of Brabant that is attributed to 1384. In 1384 Duchess Jeanne of Brabant and Philip the Bold of Flanders entered into a monetary union, in which certain coins would be made identically (or nearly so) in both places so they could circulate freely in both realms, the one and two gros coins with this design being among them. While the Flanders coins are generally attributed to a broader date range starting with 1384, Elsen attributes the Brabant coin to only 1384. 2.35 g., 28 mm. Witte 414.

Obv.: Shield of Brabant-Limburg (left) and Burgundy (right) under a crown of roses. + IOh':DVC:BRAB':PhS':DVX:BORG:Z:
COM:FLAND' (Jeanne, Duchess of Brabant, Phillip, Duke of Burgundy and Count of Flanders)
Rev.: Lion shield of Brabant over a floriate cross. Each arm of the cross ends with a pair of dragon's heads.
+ MONETA:NOVA:BRABANTIE:ET:FLANDRIE (New coinage of Brabant and Flanders)

Edited by tdziemia
12/06/2021 09:45 am
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3899 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  08:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
And a shout out to @grinya for his great coverage of the 1390s!
Indeed!
Here's what the single-date coverage looks like...

1399 - none yet
1398 - JohnConduitt (800 AH)
1397 - Grinya (799 AH)
1396 - none yet
1395 - Grinya (797 AH)
1394-92 - none yet
1391 - Grinya (793 AH)
1390 - none yet

Of course there were lots of other coins with longer minting periods.

I thought I had pics of my 1380s coin but apparently not yet? Will try to post it after I take some photos.
Valued Member
Russian Federation
231 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  08:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Grinya to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For me this decade belongs to Tokhtamysh khan of the Golden Horde. Firstly I will post one of my favorite coin from my collection - his dang of Qrim al-Jadida mint 785AH (1384).

The interesting thing that this coin has a second date (328 or year 28, depending on how to read) of unknown meaning, so possibly this is the only commemorative coin of Golden Horde.
Edited by Grinya
12/06/2021 08:06 am
Valued Member
United Kingdom
406 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  10:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnConduitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
For me this decade belongs to Tokhtamysh khan of the Golden Horde. Firstly I will post one of my favorite coin from my collection - his dang of Qrim al-Jadida mint 785AH (1384).

Yes this has to be one of the more prolific decades for Golden Horde coinage. Very interesting coin. What might it commemorate?

I will post a more standard coin, but a different year - mostly 1380, I think.

Tokhtamysh Khan, 1380-1

Saray al Jadida. Silver, 1.3g. Sultan/Toktamish Khan/May his reign be long. Minted/in the city of Saray/782 (Sagdeeva 414).
Valued Member
Russian Federation
231 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  11:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Grinya to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@JohnConduitt, nobody understands what it means... There was a theory that it is a date from Genoa calendar because of cooperation of Golden Horde with Caffa and other Genovese colonies...

I also have a dang of the year 782AH, but I believe it is 1381:)
Also Tokhtamysh khan, quite similar to your one, but Azaq mint, Sagdeeva #367. Slightly broken, unfortunately...

Edited by Grinya
12/06/2021 11:27 am
Valued Member
United Kingdom
406 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  12:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnConduitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There was a theory that it is a date from Genoa calendar because of cooperation of Golden Horde with Caffa and other Genoese colonies...

Talking of Caffa, I also have this, which is approximately from the time of Tokhtamysh Khan (1380-1397). The Genoese countermarked the copper puls they got through trade with the Golden Horde rather than minting their own.

'al-Mulk li-llah' Pul with Little Gate Countermark

Qrim (Countermark: Caffa). Copper, 20mm, 1.7g. (Zeno 28131. Countermark: Retowski Genoese #5).

It's thought the Black Death reached Europe through Caffa in the 1340s, but after that, trade flourished until the Ottomans destroyed it in 1475.
Valued Member
Russian Federation
231 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  2:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Grinya to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I also have a Tokhtamysh Khan pul countermarket with Caffa "gate". But it is too poor...

Caffa made their silver Aspres. I have one, but Retovskiy didn't assign the type I own to an exact period of time. Anyway it is later than current decade, therefore I will continue with Tokhtamysh:)

This is a pul also with a date 872 which means 782AH, Qrim al-Jadidah mint. I thought to use in the "How Far Back Can We Go" thread in case it is stacked at 872, but it stacked earlier:(

Also interesting fact that there were 3 pages with this type of coin on Numista before I requested to merge them...

Edited by Grinya
12/06/2021 2:49 pm
Page: of 58 Previous TopicReplies: 863 / Views: 29,322Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.4 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: