Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Walking Back In Time From 1600 To Antiquity By Decades (V3.0)

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 168 / Views: 4,906Next Topic
Page: of 12
Learn More...
United States
20860 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  8:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty hefty silver for the 16th Century @era. Well done!

This Groschen from the German Duchy of Julish-Kleve-Berg is 22 mm and 1.9 g. The obv inscriptions are MO NO DVC IUL CLI ET ONZ and 1583 while the rev inscription is IN DEO SPES MEA.

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Learn More...
United States
20860 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No activity for a couple days, so we will drop back to the decade of the 1570s starting this Saturday morning. Last call for your coins minted in the 1580s!

-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5067 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree we seem to be running on a 5 to 6 day cycle. Though I think we always want to have a full weekend in there for each decade.

Nice variety for the 1580s!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5067 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2021  07:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I;ll kick off the 1570s.

1576 Duchy of Courland & Semigalia 1 schilling
Obv: Heraldic lion. DVCIS CVR ET SEMIGAL
Rev: Crowned SA monogram inside triangular Kettler insignia. MONE NOVA ARGENTE
Kop. 4007

The Duchy of Courland and Semigalia was formed in 1561 when the Livonian order, under its last Grand Master, Gotthard Kettler, was dissolved and its territory partitioned between Lithuania and Sweden. Courland and Semigalia was the southernmost slice, sharing its southern border with the northwest border of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. The Kettler family would continue to supply dukes for the next two centuries.
The SA monogram is that of Sigismund Augustus of Poland-Lithuania, who had died 4 years earlier.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
814 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2021  10:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a lovely lion and a very nice coin, @tdziemia! I notice there is a small fleur-de-lys at the top of the legends - a mint mark? (That is a flower I like, I have plenty of them on my coins ... my contribution today being no exception .)

1577, France, double tournois (2 deniers), Henry III, Paris (A). Copper, 3.1 g, 21 mm. Duplessy 1152, Sombart 4068, Roberts 3631.

Obv: Henry III of France.
Inscription: HENRI III Roi DE FRANce ET POLogne (Henry III King of France and Poland).

Rev: Three fleurs-de-lys (by tradition, 2 d coins have three fleurs-de-lys, 1 d coins have two, and ½ d coins have one).

This little coin is remarkable in two ways. Firstly, it is (together with a 1 denier coin) the first French coin minted in pure copper, finally replacing the lowest denomination billon coins with their ever decreasing silver content. Secondly, it is the first French coin with inscription entirely in French instead of Latin. The first copper coins were minted in 1577 and were without date (that was added in 1578).
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5067 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2021  12:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The fleur-de-lis is an interesting connection between the coins. I don't know it's origin on the Courland coin, but I know it was also used on the coins of the City of Riga (also formerly part of Livonia) when it was under Polish-rule, (coins dated 1582 - 1620. So maybe a symbol of Livonia?

Learn More...
United States
20860 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2021  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a great start to the decade of the 1570s! I'm going to add another Swedish Half Öre. This one is dated 1570 and is attributed as Ahl 78. The obv inscription is IOHANN 3 D G REX SVEGI 70, while the rev inscription is MON NO?G VRB STOKHO.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
814 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2021  08:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent to see some Swedish coins here! My single Swedish 16th century coin is also a John III.

Quote:
MON NO?G VRB STOKHO

That would be MONeta NOva REGis VRBs STOKHOlm (King's New Money of the City of Stockholm).

Sweden 1573, 2 öre, John III, Stockholm. Silver, 3.1 g, 24 mm. Ahlström 65b.

Obv: Lesser coat of arms of Sweden, Three Crowns.
Inscription: DEVS PROTECTOR NOSTeR (God is our protector, the king's motto). Across: 7 3 (for the year).

Rev: Royal coat of arms of the House of Vasa.
Inscription: MONETA NOVA STOKHOLM (New money of Stockholm). Across: 2 R (for the denomination).
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5067 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2021  09:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To balance things with something from the south of Europe...
Republic of Venice, undated 40 soldi (=2 lire) of the Doge Sebastian Venier (1577-78). Silver, 31mm, 8.5 g., Numista 201075

Obv: Saint Mark seated, handing staff to Doge. *H M* in exergue. S M VENET SEB VENERIO (Saint Mark of Venice, Sebastian Venier)
Rev: Standing figure of Saint Justina pierced by sword, holding palm in right hand and book in left. 40 in exergue. MEMORERO TVI IVSTINA VIRG (In your memory, (Saint) Justina, virgin)

Date of issue is 1577 based on the sigla of mint supervisor Gerolomo Morosini (HM) in exergue
Pillar of the Community
United States
6005 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2021  10:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spectacular showing of coins from this period. Well done, all.
Edited by Bob L
08/08/2021 10:34 am
Learn More...
United States
20860 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2021  11:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thx for the help with the inscription @era!
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Valued Member
United Kingdom
85 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2021  2:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnConduitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Elizabeth I is going to keep me in this for a couple of weeks before I run out at the other end of the 1500s.

This is another tiny coin, designed to give people change of a farthing when farthings would've been too small to produce.

Elizabeth I Three Farthings, 1575

Tower. Silver, 13mm, 0.39g. 3rd Issue. Small bust, rose behind, mintmark eglantine both sides, E: D: G: ROSA: SINE: SPINA: (Elizabeth by the grace of God, a rose without a thorn). CIVI TAS LON DON (S 2571).

The three farthings, three halfpence, threepence and sixpence are marked with a rose behind the queen's head to distinguish them from the penny, halfgroat, groat and shilling (i.e. alternate denominations feature a rose). Presumably, they weren't marked with the values (as had been introduced by Edward VI) so they could be revalued if necessary, but in 1582 the denomination was added to the halfgroat (2 dots).
Pillar of the Community
United States
510 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2021  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Aha! The only decade in this thread I have a coin for!

Here's my 1576 Leeuwendaalder (2.5 Gulden) from the Dutch Republic

Obv: MO NO ARG ORDIN HOL (New silver coin by order of Holland)
Rev: CONFIDENS DNO NON MOVETVR (Unwavering trust in the Lord)
[Custom 7070 v3.0 WIP] - - - [Custom 7070 v2.0] - - - [Custom 7070 v1.0]
Edited by PNWType
08/09/2021 3:32 pm
Learn More...
United States
104701 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2356 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2021  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Informative-Interesting-I'm learning a great deal thanks!
......Paul
Page: of 12 Previous TopicReplies: 168 / Views: 4,906Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05