Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Walking Back In Time From 1600 To Antiquity By Decades (V3.0)

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 874 / Views: 29,932Next Topic
Page: of 59
Pillar of the Community
United States
1072 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  3:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EddieDiz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A couple of date range ones. Both are 1323/24 Hungarian Denars under King Charles Robert.

Huszar 446,Unger 362,Rethy II-054A.

The same as the above but the shield is reversed.

Valued Member
United Kingdom
415 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnConduitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@JohnConduitt, there are still some Golden Horde coins, this is not the end:))

Yes, don't worry, I still have more . But earlier than Uzbeg Khan (and the Arabic coins) they're less abundant.

Quote:
Dang of Muhammad Uzbeg Khan, Qrim al-Maqrus mint 720 AH (1320?) Sagdeeva #189

I also have this coin. But we can say it's from one of the other AH720s

Muhammad Uzbeg Khan Dang, AH720/1320 (and the next 40 years)

Qrim al-Maqrus. Silver, 1.2g. Kalima in circle; 'Minted in al-Maqrus Crimea in year 720' around. Sultan Muhammad, Öz Beg Khan, Let his victory be glorified (Sagdeeva 189).
Valued Member
Russian Federation
232 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  4:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Grinya to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@JohnConduitt, yes, let's say this. But not for 722, because I have this for 722AH:)

Dang of Muhammad Uzbeg Khan, Saray al-Mahrusa mint, Sagdeeva# 201

Learn More...
United States
23271 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  5:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow what a great start to this decade, with tons of great coins being posted.

Here is a Denar from Slovenia Slavonia issued by King Banus Nikolaus. It dates to between 1322 and 1325 AD. The alphabet is largely not Latin, but the obv inscription is roughly +MOHETAPEGIS SALNONIA. It is attributed as Rengjeo 229.

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
1052 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, @Spence, that is an interesting coin!

The animal intrigued me, so I had to investigate . From what I have found out, it is a marten. It seems marten pelts were used as a form of money in the area in medieval times, so having it on a coin makes sense. Also, marten is kuna in the Croatian language, and kuna is the name of today's Croatian currency.

I also think the coin is from Slavonia (part of Croatia), not Slovenia. The inscription is MONETA REGIS P[er] SCLAVONIA ("The King's Money of Slavonia").
Pillar of the Community
United States
1072 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  6:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EddieDiz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Slavonian Denars I have has a similar design. I will have those for the 1270 decade.
Learn More...
United States
23271 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  8:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I also think the coin is from Slavonia (part of Croatia), not Slovenia.

Yes you are 100% correct. Seems like I should be able to read my own writing on these 2x2s, but I guess not.

Let me try to make amends by posting a twin to @tdz's coin: This Esterlin from Brabant datable to 1329 to 1337 AD. I have it attributed as deWitte #349.

-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5395 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  11:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lots of fun coins this decade.
@Eddie, I really like that parvus with the Pascal lamb/

Quote:
I have one esterlin (well, a copy of an Edward III penny), which happens to be from this decade

I think just about every sovereign in northwest Europe made a coin imitating the English pennny in the first half of the 14th century: Robert III of Flanders, John III of Brabant, John II of Hainaut, John the Blind of Luxembourg, John I of Lorraine (I wasn;t aware of Aachen!).
Valued Member
Russian Federation
232 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  02:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Grinya to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pul with Falcon and inscription "16 puls=dang", Sarai al-Jadidah mint, dated 726AH

Learn More...
United States
23271 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  5:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A falcon--that is pretty cool!

Here is a Hungarian Denar that is datable to 1327 AD. The rev inscription is MONETA REGIS KARLI and yes that garbled mess is a bird--eagle not a falcon. It is attributed as Huszar 465 and Frynas H.24.22.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz
Valued Member
United Kingdom
415 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  08:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnConduitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is my last for the 1320s, if it even counts as that. It's undated.

Hugh IV of Cyprus (also Hugh II of Jerusalem) was a crusader king who wasn't all that keen on crusading. The coin seems to be called a 'big small', or actually a 'small big', if there's a difference, meaning half a gros.

Hugh IV Gros Petit, Cyprus Second Series, 1324-1359

Famagusta. Silver, 2.3g. King seated without cross at neck, no fieldmarks; hVGVE REI DE (straight V). Cross of Jerusalem; + IERVSAL'M E DE ChIPRE (Metcalf 572 var).

These had a fairly low mintage (using fewer than 40 obverse dies) but a large number have survived - they were hoarded during the Genoese attacks in the 1370s and 1380s that led to the decline of the kingdom. The 'big bigs' were probably minted at Nicosia and the 'small bigs' at Famagusta (now in Northern Cyprus).
Learn More...
United States
23271 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  09:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
if it even counts as that.

Not a small enough time frame to move us back, but that is ok aw we have plenty of others posted to do that. This version of the thread is aimed at being super-inclusive, so post away. I know I've got a few which are pretty broad in terms of the date range.

For example, here is a Pfennig of the German Bishopric of Osnabrück. It can be dated to between 1321 and 1349 AD. THe obv legend is +GOTFRIDVS EPISC while the rev legend is MONETA OSNAB VRGE. With that said, either through the use of an undersized flan or some silver shaving over the centuries, both legends are completely off the flan now.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5395 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  09:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The coin seems to be called a 'big small', or actually a 'small big'

Actually "little groat." While "gros" as an adjective translates as big, or fat, here it is a noun, the denomination groat.

My only other coin from this decade also has a wide range, this 2 denier of the Duchy of Lorraine, Nancy mint, Boudeau 1465. It cannot be dated any narrower than the reign of Duke Raoul 1329-1346. Like Louis I of Flanders (one of my coins last decade), Raoul was also a casualty of the Battle of Crecy.

Obv: Shield of Lorraine in polylobe. R DVX LOTORENGIE
Rev: Sword flanked by two more shields. MONETA NANCEI
Edited by tdziemia
01/22/2022 09:43 am
Valued Member
Russian Federation
232 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  11:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Grinya to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Less common Dang of Muhammad Uzbeg Khan, Mokhshi mint, Sagdeeva# 193

UPD: oh, it is dated 718AH which means 1318/1319. Too early to post:(
Edited by Grinya
01/22/2022 12:24 pm
Learn More...
United States
23271 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  11:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a small Denar from the German County of Brechna that has a particularly wide date range (1325 to 1355 AD). The rev legend may be degenerate, but is something like OTOROTONh. It is attributed as Dannenberg AS84 and Thormann 206.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz
Page: of 59 Previous TopicReplies: 874 / Views: 29,932Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: