Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Walking Back In Time From 1600 To Antiquity By Decades (V3.0)

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 865 / Views: 29,444Next Topic
Page: of 58
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5390 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2022  09:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Naples seems to be a weird intersection of Italian and French numismatics

Yes, those Angevin nobles found their way onto thrones all over Europe: Naples in the 13th/14th centuries, Hungary and Poland later in the 14th, Lorraine in the 15th, and so on.

Here is a 1/4 gros of Duke Ferri (Frederick) IV of Lorraine who ruled 1312-1328 (one of several Lorraine coins where mine is the Numista photo). Flon 349, 2.

Obv. The duke, mounted galloping right. F DVX LOTOREGIE
Rev. Sword flanked by two alerions. MONETA DE NANCEI
Edited by tdziemia
01/27/2022 09:36 am
Valued Member
Russian Federation
231 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2022  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Grinya to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will continue with Golden Horde:)

Dang of Toqtu Khan (Majar mint) 710AH (1311) Sagdeeva# 169

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2394 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2022  5:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A gold mine of information is in this thread. I didn't know anything about the Golden Horde history or coinage before I started following along here.
@Spence - I may also have this gigliato from the Kingdom of Naples. I'll check and see how similar it is to yours.
@tdz - Fantastic medieval design. Drool-worthy!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
407 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2022  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnConduitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here is a 1/4 gros of Duke Ferri (Frederick) IV of Lorraine

That's a nice looking coin. Frederick IV seems to have fancied himself as a knight.

Quote:
Dang of Toqtu Khan (Majar mint) 710AH

That's a pretty amazing strike for Toqta Khan. Not a very common mint either. I have a Toqta pul for the next decade.

For this decade, I have an anonymous Golden Horde coin that's 'from the time of', which probably means the date is even less accurate than the 28 year range given.

Anonymous Pulo from the time of Muhammad Öz Beg Khan, 1313-1341

Qrim. Copper, 19mm, 1.3g. Zarb (struck at), both sides (cf Zeno #41114).
Learn More...
United States
23211 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2022  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great coins today, including that freshly-posted copper Pulo.

Here is my Praggroschen dating to 1310-1346 AD. It was issued at the Kutna Hora mint. The obv legend is GROSSI PRAGENSES while the rev legend is DEI GRATIA REX BOEMIE and IOHANHES PRIMVS. I have attributed it as Fry B.27.12 and Saurma 396.

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3900 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2022  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here is my Praggroschen dating to 1310-1346 AD. It was issued at the Kutna Hora mint. The obv legend is GROSSI PRAGENSES while the rev legend is DEI GRATIA REX BOEMIE and IOHANHES PRIMVS.
I like this type because it's perhaps the best counterexample to the old puzzle about George I.

TL/DR of the puzzle: a coin is found with an inscription in the name of George the First. It thus has to be fake, because George I (or whoever was making coins in his name at the time) would not have known that there was to be another George after him.

But in this case we have John the First confidently declaring himself to be so, entirely unaware of whether there would be a later John or not.
In fact he was to be the only John of Bohemia, so the regnal number is entirely superfluous, but he could not have known that.

(A similar situation happened to Paul I in late 18th century Russia; his coins prominently feature the numeral, but there was no later Paul of Russia. It so happens that Paul I is in fact known as Paul I, despite being the only, but AFAIK John of Bohemia usually doesn't get his regnal number.
It also happens that George I of Great Britain in fact did not include his regnal number on his coins - though as he was elderly and his heir was also named George, it would probably not have came as a surprise that he was not to be the only.)

I used to think that the Prague groschens (which start a few years earlier with Wenceslas II) were the first coins to feature a regnal number; turns out that Henry III of England did it a few decades earlier. I do not currently known whether Henry III was in fact the first, or if someone did the same thing even earlier.
Learn More...
United States
23211 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2022  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really good information to add to this thread @j1m.

Quote:
I do not currently known whether Henry III was in fact the first, or if someone did the same thing even earlier.

As it turns out, I have looked into this subject a bit. In studying the inscriptions of just under 11,000 coins from the 9th through the 15th Centuries minted in Europe, the very earliest numeral I found was on a Denar dating to the time range of 1058 to 1079 AD. It was issued by King Boleslaus II of Poland. While I don't have an example of this coin in my own collection, the attribution of this piece is attributed as Kopicki #27 and several examples are easily found on the interwebs. I'm not 100% sure that this "Z" was intended to represent his regnal number, but that is my best guess.

-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
Russian Federation
231 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  04:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Grinya to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@JohnConduitt, yes, this was uncommon mint. I have a coin from a more common Saray al-Maqrus mint, but need to make photos of it...

So, now I return to Uzbek khan and his dang from Qrim mint dated (as I can see) 717AH (1318)

Learn More...
United States
23211 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  07:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This Piccolo was issued by the Italian Republic of Florence and is datable to 1319 AD. The obv legend is + FLORENTIA while the rev legend is + IS IOHANES B. I have attributed it as Biaggi 789.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz
Valued Member
Russian Federation
231 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  08:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Grinya to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pul "Qutlug Bulsun" 713 (1314)
"Qutlug Bulsun" may be translated like "Be happy"! So, here is quite positive coin:)

Learn More...
United States
23211 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  12:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This Pfennig was issued by Gottfried III von Hohenlohe of the German Bishopric of Wrützburg. It is datable to the range of 1317 to 1322 AD and is attributed as Ehwald 4500.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz
Valued Member
Russian Federation
231 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Grinya to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One more Dang of Uzbek Khan Saray al-Jadida mint. Date is off-flan, but it may be 714-721 (1315-1321)

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5390 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  3:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Amazing coins posted the last 24 hours! That dang of 710 AH is stunning, likewise the Prager Groschen (mine is next decade), and I need to go looking at the Boleslaus II coin that was mentioned.

Quote:
Frederick IV seems to have fancied himself as a knight.

Many of these guys were leading armies in battle, so the representations on the coins are indeed the duke or count armed for battle. Frederick IV died at the Battle of Cassel in 1328. His son Raoul died at the battle of Crecy in 1346, as did Louis I of Flanders.
Different model of leadership back then
Edited by tdziemia
01/28/2022 3:40 pm
Learn More...
United States
23211 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2022  2:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is one final coin from me that is at least partially from this decade. This Cornado was minted in Castille and Leon somewhere in the range of 1312 to 1350 AD. It was issued on behalf of Alfonso XI and indeed the obv legend is ALFONS REX while the rev legend is CASTELLE ET LEGIONIS. I have attributed it as C&C 1191.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz
Valued Member
Russian Federation
231 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2022  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Grinya to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have some more undated coins from the time of Uzbek Khan (from 1313), but they are quite boring... Like this Crimean pul... I wouldn't post them, especially because I need to take new photos...:)

Hexagram with a circle inside
Edited by Grinya
01/29/2022 2:17 pm
Page: of 58 Replies: 865 / Views: 29,444Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: