Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Walking Back In Time From 1600 To Antiquity By Decades (V3.0)

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 908 / Views: 33,049Next Topic
Page: of 61
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5423 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  08:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This aspron trachy of the Byzantine Empire, Manuel I Komnenos is dated to 1160-1164. Sear 1959, Numista #302385

Obv: Christ Pantokrator
Rev: Manuel and Saint Theodore with hands on the patriarchal cross (lettering at left is Manuel's name and at right St Theodore's)
Edited by tdziemia
05/14/2022 08:50 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1083 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  11:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EddieDiz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This should give you an idea of how much I have left to do in this early Arpad time. There are types I do not have any of. All of these will be 1162-72.

Anonymous Hungarian Denar (King Stephen III?);Huszar 113,Unger 83,Rethy I-123,CAC Vol. II/19.5.1.1. This is one sigla variety of 5 that I have out of 101.

Contemporary counterfeit resembling the previous coin.

Anonymous Hungarian Denar (King Stephen III?);Huszar 117a,Unger 82,Rethy I-129,CAC Vol. II/19.7.1.1. This is the only sigla variety out of 87 that I have.

Anonymous Hungarian Denar (KIng Stephen III?);Huszar 118,Rethy I-131,CAC Vol. II/19.8.1.1. This is one sigla variety out of 8 that I have out of 49.

Anonymous Hungarian Denar (King Stephen III?);Huszar 127,Unger 84,Rethy I-137,CAC Vol. II/19.15/1/1. This is the only sigla variety out of 102 that I have.

Anonymous Hungarian Denar (King Stephen III?);Huszar 140,Unger 81,Rethy I-119,CAC Vol. II/20.3.1.1. It is the only sigla variety I have out of 66.

Anonymous Hungarian Denar (King Stephen III?);Huszar 161,Unger 80,Rethy I-151,CAC Vol. II/20.15.1.1. This is the only sigla variety I have out of 57.

Contemporary counterfeit resembling the previous coin,

Anonymous Hungarian Denar (King Stephen III?);Huszar 164,Unger 86,Rethy I-153,CAC Vol. II/20.16.1.1. This is 1 of 3 sigla varieties I have out of 78.

Anonymous Hungarian Denar (King Stephen III?);Huszar 171,Unger 85,Rethy I-157,CAC Vol. II/20.18.1.1. This is one sigla variety out of 9 that I have out of 74.

Edited by EddieDiz
05/14/2022 12:27 pm
Learn More...
United States
23706 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great work for the first day of this decade @tdz and @ed!

Here is a Denier from the Principality of Antioch. It dates to between 1163 and 1188 AD. The obv legend is BOAMVNDVS while the rev legend is ANTIOCHIA. I have attributed it as Metcalf D-395 and CCS 65a.

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
Hong Kong
141 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  09:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wandering Circle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1 Cash - Zhenglong Yuanbao, minted under Jurchen Emperor Digunai between 1158 and 1161. Introduced by Digunai as part of the sinicization policy, the Zhenglong was the first coinage issued by the Great Jin Empire as the previous Song Dynasty cash coins had remained in use since the Jurchen conquest of Northern China in 1127.

"They cannot conquer forever!" - Frodo Baggins
Edited by Wandering Circle
05/15/2022 09:48 am
Learn More...
United States
23706 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  10:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@wand, that is a great cast cash you have there and thx for including the historical context. By date, it actually should be posted for our next decade though as we are currently looking for coins first minted in the decade of the 1160s. Definitely not a big deal though.

For me, I have this Mezzo Follaro from the Italian City of Sicily. It was minted at Messina somewhere in the range of 1166 to 1189 AD. The obv legends are O REX W SCOS and +OPERATO IN VRBE MESSANE while the rev legend translates to King WIlliam II. I have attributed it as Biaggi 1233.

It may be interesting to contrast that coin with this contemporaneous Terzodi Apuliense minted in Norman Sicily. The uneven strike is unfortunate, but the obv reads W RX (for William II) and the rev reads TERCII APVLIENSIS I. I have attributed it as Biaggi 1228.

-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
Hong Kong
141 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  11:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wandering Circle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
it actually should be posted for our next decade

Ah, I shall remember that.

Good see those coins from Norman Sicily, one of the most vibrant country in the Medieval World.
"They cannot conquer forever!" - Frodo Baggins
Valued Member
United Kingdom
461 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  2:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnConduitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's another Bohemond III Denier.

Bohemond III Denier, 1163-1188

Antioch. Silver, 18mm, 0.9g. Helmeted and mailed head, crescent before, star behind; + BOANVNDVS. Cross pattée; crescent in second quarter, + ANTI:OCHIA (Metcalf 378).
Edited by JohnConduitt
05/15/2022 2:55 pm
Learn More...
United States
23706 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  3:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice one @john! Glad to have another Denier of Bohemund III posted.

Here is a Dirham from the Zangid Dynasty minted at al-Mawsil in the year AH 556. This corresponds to 1160 or 1161 AD. I have attributed it as Album 1858.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz
Learn More...
United States
23706 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is always fun to post non-circular coins. This Dirham was minted by the Muwahhids of what is now Morocco between 1160 and 1269 AD. The obv legend translates to There is no god but Allah. The command is all of it belonging to Allah. There is no strength except in Allah. The rev legend translates to Allah is our lord. Mohammed is our prophet. The Mahdi is our imam. I have attributed it as Album 496 and C&C 712.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz
Learn More...
United States
23706 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2022  8:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A while ago, I posted this coin as having the most dates of any coin I own (see the rev...) This Trifollaro was minted in the Italian City State of Sicily between 1166 and 1189 AD. It was struck at Messina and features a 3/4 lion profile plus a palm/date tree. I have attributed it as Biaggi 1231.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
1083 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  1:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EddieDiz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Leave it to me to look for a numerical date and it is actual dates you were talking about.
Learn More...
United States
23706 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  4:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
actual dates

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5423 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  9:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is one with a broad date range ...
Duchy of Brabant denier of Godefroid III, dated 1163-1183. Numista #303420

Learn More...
United States
23706 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  10:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice one @tdz. I'm struggling to figure out what the design elements are on the first pic because it sorta looks like a friendly shark jumping over a scorpion.

In reading your numista description though I see that it is a dragon with the body facing left but bent at the neck so that the head is facing right.
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5423 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2022  10:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
it sorta looks like a friendly shark jumping over a scorpion.

I like that better (I got a bit sloppy not giving the description
Page: of 61 Replies: 908 / Views: 33,049Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: