Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Walking Back In Time From 1600 To Antiquity By Decades (V3.0)

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 911 / Views: 33,186Next Topic
Page: of 61
Learn More...
United States
23723 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2022  9:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a problem @tdz. You've got the numista link in there so it is all good. Anyone else have a coin minted starting in the 1160s?
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Learn More...
United States
23723 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  6:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Last call. Let's drop back to the 1150s starting tomorrow morning!
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
773 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  7:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MartiVltori to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Saladin

AR ½ Dirham, 1169-1193, Dimashq (Damascus), 13mm, 0.69g, ~20°, A# 790
Obv: The name and the titles of the ruler inside a square.
Rev: The name and the titles of the caliph al-Mustadi inside a square.

Learn More...
United States
23723 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2022  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just slipped that Half Dirham in under the wire @marti. Well done and thx for the super contribution!

Here is a Denier struck by the French City of Meaux between 1158 and 1161 AD. The obv inscription is something like MELt CIVITAS and the rev inscription is STEPHANVS ER CO. I have attributed it as Roberts 4981.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2568 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2022  2:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely coins being shown!.....I've been learning a great deal as this thread moves on ...Thanks everyone!

Just a thought but maybe posters could put a decade title as the heading of their post?

I assume we are now on 1150's?
Learn More...
United States
23723 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2022  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes Paul we are still on the 1150s. I've got a few more to post, but am hoping for some broader participation.

Here is a chipped Pfennig from the Swiss Canton of Basel that was minted somewhere between 1150 and 1200. I have attributed it as HMZ I-205a.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz
Learn More...
United States
23723 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2022  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This Obole was minted in the French Bishopric of Clermont over the course of perhaps a hundred years, starting at about 1150 AD. The obverse legend is S EA MARIA. And the reverse legend is + V ARVERNA. I have attributed it as Roberts 4908 and Duplessy 831.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz
Valued Member
Hong Kong
141 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2022  9:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wandering Circle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very neat. Was the indent on the portrait of Virgin Mary caused by the cross on the reverse?
"They cannot conquer forever!" - Frodo Baggins
Pillar of the Community
United States
6328 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2022  10:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like it might be a brockage.
Learn More...
United States
23723 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2022  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes @wand, the crosses line up in both sides. @bob may very well be right (not sure the dude is ever wrong), but I had always sorta assumed that the reason for this somewhat common design transfer was due to the use of overly thin planchets. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can weigh in and teach us all something.

Added: also I should point out that the portrait on this coin is likely not Mary as that is a crown rather than a halo. The description in my books is fairly generic, "front view of head with crown" or the like.
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz
Valued Member
Hong Kong
141 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2022  11:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wandering Circle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
the portrait on this coin is likely not Mary as that is a crown rather than a halo

I digged around and I think this could be the answer: the "Saint Mary" on the coin could be Saint Marius from Auvergne, where Clermont is located. That would fit the inscription assuming the portrait was a male.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_le_confesseur
"They cannot conquer forever!" - Frodo Baggins
Edited by Wandering Circle
05/29/2022 11:18 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
461 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2022  04:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnConduitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
that the reason for this somewhat common design transfer was due to the use of overly thin planchets

Yes this is the reason given for this happening on most English pennies of the era. The strike on the reverse goes through the thin planchet.
Edited by JohnConduitt
05/30/2022 04:20 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
1073 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2022  05:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
that the reason for this somewhat common design transfer was due to the use of overly thin planchets

Quite common also for French coins from this era. It appears on a couple of my latest (French) contributions too, although not quite as distinct as on the Clermont obole (a nice coin btw).

Quote:
the "Saint Mary" on the coin could be Saint Marius from Auvergne, where Clermont is located

Seems likely. Good job digging that up.
Learn More...
United States
23723 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2022  5:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am not disappointed—you guys really came through with the answers. Well done helping me learn multiple things today. Thx!

Here is a Fractional Follaro that was minted in Messina between 1154 and 1168 AD. It was struck somewhat scyphate and has the obv inscription of REX W and MP OY. It was issued under the authority of Gugliemo I and is attributed as Biaggi 1226 and Spahr 99.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz
Learn More...
United States
23723 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2022  7:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do have a Denier of Rodez that fits into this decade, but with my camera system down, I'm just going to have to wait until V4.0 to post it.

Anyone else have anything to post for this decade? If not, then we can drop back to the decade of the 1140s tomorrow.
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz
Page: of 61 Previous TopicReplies: 911 / Views: 33,186Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.49 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: