Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Walking Back In Time From 1600 To Antiquity By Decades (V3.0)

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 945 / Views: 37,355Next Topic
Page: of 63
Learn More...
United States
24132 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2022  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great additions to the thread today from the 1130s. Keep them coming!

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
United Kingdom
472 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2022  2:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnConduitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting about the dates. I suppose it depends on how loosely you define a 'date'. There are older coins that state 'year 1' of whatever regime it is, while Roman coins often have the number of times an emperor had been a consul, which gives you a year range.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
1094 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2022  3:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An impressive array of 1130s coins!

France 1137-80, denier, Louis VII, minted in Bourges. Silver, 1.1 g, 19 mm. Duplessy 134, Lafaurie 145, Roberts 2394.

Obv: The king, wearing a crown.

Rev: Flowered latin cross (symbol used by Bourges).

Portraits were not common on French coins at this time, and while I find the somewhat naive style charming, I can also understand why the die cutters preferred more abstract designs.
Learn More...
United States
24132 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2022  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I find the somewhat naive style charming

Yes with those wide eyes, he looks a bit like a scared pirate.
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
Hong Kong
149 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2022  09:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wandering Circle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a 2 cash "Shaoxing Tongbao", Shaoxing era (1131-1162). Reign of Emperor Gaozong of the Southern Song Dynasty.

"They cannot conquer forever!" - Frodo Baggins
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
1094 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
France 1137-80, denier, Louis VII, minted in Paris. Silver, 0.9 g, 19 mm. Duplessy 146, Lafaurie 139, Roberts 2552.

Obv inscription: LVDOVICVS REX / FRA-NCO [NCO reversed] (Louis King of the Franks).

Rev inscription: PARISII CIVIS (City of Paris).
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5463 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice pair of French coins!
My only other coin of this decade is a denar from the Kingdom of Poland that can be dated to 1138-1146, Kopicki 51, Numista#124234

Obv: Knight holding sword and shield
Rev: Bishop holding crozier and bible
Valued Member
United Kingdom
472 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  09:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnConduitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Has anyone got any more for the 1130s?
Learn More...
United States
24132 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  4:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep just a couple @john.

Here is a Dirham of the Danishmendid Dynasty that dates to between 1134 and 1142 AD. It is attributed as Album 1238.

I'll post my other coin for this decade tomorrow or after someone else posts a coin, which ever happens first.
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3953 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  06:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here is a Dirham of the Danishmendid Dynasty
Is it imitating a Byzantine type? I see a lot of Greek lettering but nothing that looks like Arabic.

(Google says that the lettering actually gives the ruler's titles in Greek. Interesting coin! I want one now but it's probably very rare.)
Learn More...
United States
24132 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  07:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes correct @j1m. The inscriptions are pretty weak, but I believe translate into something like "Great King of the Land of the Romans" and "and Antolia, Muhammad". It is listed as R rarity and at the moment I'm not seeing any listed on eBay or ma-shops, but for sure these pop up at SARC on occasion. In fact, that is where I got this one.
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz
Learn More...
United States
24132 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is my other coin that was issued starting in the 1130s. This Denaro comes from the Italian Republic of Genoa and dates to between 1139 and 1252 AD. The obv legend is +IA.NV.A while the reverse legend is CVNRADI REX. I have attributed it as Biaggi 835.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz
Learn More...
United States
24132 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  07:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, seems like we should be dropping back to the decade of the 1120s soon. How about if we have last call today for the 1130s and then start with the new decade starting tomorrow am?
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz
Valued Member
United Kingdom
472 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  12:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnConduitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I only have this for the 1120s.

This is a cut halfpenny from Henry I. To counter debasement, he demanded all moneyers should "lose their right hand and be castrated." So there were far fewer mints and moneyers of these than his previous issues.

Henry I Cut Halfpenny (from a 'Quadrilateral on Cross Fleury' Penny), 1125-1135

London. Silver, 19.5mm, 0.65g. Henry I left; (+hENRI)CVS:. Quadrilateral on cross fleury; (+P)VLFPINE:ON(:LV) (Moneyer Wulfwine) (S 1276).
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2585 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sussala deva..Kashmir...
1st Reign 1113-1119 AD.
2nd Reign 1120-1127/8 AD.
There are no references as to which coin represents which reign so I picked up both
One of them hits the 10 year criteria but which one as of now is unknown.
Copper Kaserah or Punchshi
Obverse- Goddess Ardochsho/Lakshmi seated
Reverse- King facing.

One has a legend of "Sri-Sussala"
The other just "Sussala".

Edited by Palouche
07/05/2022 5:21 pm
Page: of 63 Previous TopicReplies: 945 / Views: 37,355Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: