Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Do You Ever Get Uncirculated Mint Rolls At The Bank?

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 51 / Views: 1,549Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1147 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2021  10:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
But I'll definitely invest in 1-2 in opened rolls for my son:)
Valued Member
Canada
246 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2021  12:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cdngmt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have received coin boxes sealed with RCM printed tape....
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1147 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2021  06:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Either way my first time coming across them, so I figure low mintage, mint roll, I'll put one or two aside for my son.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2586 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2021  1:14 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
just wondering where the 1m mintage number came from?

i don't have access to an official population report, just wondering if 1m is the official number?

i know coindandcanada and numista both show 1m, but mint.ca just shows 29m for all the $2 for that year.

Coin Collecting... "I'm in it for the money"
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1147 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2021  1:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin and Canada is where I got the number, it's the same for all the colour and non coloured coins
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1147 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2021  1:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The mint didn't post the official mintage for these idk why. Also don't know where the 1m and 2m numbers came from
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4813 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2021  2:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1 million non colour and 2 million colour was the same mintage for most recent special loonies and toonies the last few years, was chasing these back then through my local banks at the time. Only a few stray boxes made it through the normal banking system, most were picked out by the security delivery companies and sold onward to dealers, in 2017 the RCM stopped the bulk order dept. in Winnipeg to prevent collector hoarding, this policy has really worked well ?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4813 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2021  2:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The reason you found these 2018 mint rolls are probably covid related, someone just need the funds right now and did
not want to go to a dealer
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1147 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2021  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I was in this for money I'm sure I could buy all 100 or so rolls and sell for a premium.but I enjoy looking through the mint rolls. Being the first one to check out a coin is different then normal roll hunting. I offered them for cost if anyone wanted one on here but no takers. And ya as far as I know all of the new coloured and non coloured are 1m non coloured and 1m coloured. So a 3 year old uncirculated roll with a low mintage of 1m seems like they'd be more popular lol.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3830 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2021  7:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even at a mintage of 1 million (and who knows if the mint figures are correct), if you only have 100 or so collectors, there will be no market for them. If you want your socks blown off, take a look at Newfoundland mintages and then the prices for them. Extremely small mintages , but no collectors and it's been that way for decades.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1147 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  08:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Never even heard of newfoundland coins lol, and ya low mintages. But I feel like alot of people wouldn't even know to look for them, alot of people who want to start collecting and don't know much would be the target market for these coins I'd imagine. And idk if I'd compare a provincial coin to the countries normal circulation currency. And as with any market everything is constantly changing. I don't plan on selling these or trying to, just in opening all the rolls and keeping the best one or two and looking for any errors. And any modern coin I imagine where not everyone can get a mint roll would and have paid premiums as far as I can tell from looking on Amazon and stuff. If someone can't get something and want it they will pay a premium for anything lol. Even if you sell 1$ coins for 2-3$ or more. Unethical? Mayb. But marking up anything is business lol, the way of the world.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
999 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  09:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the only unethical part would be selling common circulation coins in general. Most dont realize when looking on eBay for example, you will find coins for $4.00 - $5.00 free shipping on something you can easily pick up at a bank, but the only reason there looks to be a premium on them is not because of the coin itself but due to the eBay fees and shipping.

A $1.00 coin shipped will cost around $1.50 give or take, on top of that eBay takes their cut, so by the time you add shipping and eBay fees your looking at a couple dollars over face value and the premium the seller gets might only be .50 cents to $1.00.

If you post a $2.00 coin on eBay for exactly $2.00 with $1.00 to $2.00 shipping for example just to be nice and try to sell at face value, you will actually lose money because you will end up only getting maybe a dollar give or take when everything is said and done, in return that would be like saying hey, ill trade you a dollar for a toonie, wouldent make sense.
Aggressively searching Canadian Small Cents on a daily basis since 2018.

Some of my Discoveries.
1941 George VI 1 Cent DDO http://goccf.com/t/367977
1976 Queen Elizabeth II 1 Cent DDO http://goccf.com/t/373627
1970 Queen Elizabeth II 1 Cent DDR http://goccf.com/t/364301
1989 Belize 25 Cent's with a Doubled Die Reverse http://goccf.com/t/362747
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1147 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  09:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Alot of the adds iv seen at like 2$ for 4$+ some of them are between 2-15$ shipping cost lol.selling money for more money sounds dumb but people do it. Any one who is willing to pay is no different then if you own a convenience store buying 24 bottles of water for 4$ and selling them at 1$ a piece. 600% markup. Or like a junk bin at a coin store, face value worth coins for the most part. But all with a little mark up. All business is unethical because you want to profit off someone else. But everyone needs money so if your making it legally idk if I'd call it unethical. Again, I'm not talking about myself. I work for a living lol and have never sold anything online except my old Xbox 360. I have a PS3 that was the dumbest invention by Sony lol, PS3 super slim... 12GB hard drive. Can store like 3 saved games lol. Sorry starting getting off topic at the end there.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2586 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  10:31 am  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think the only unethical part would be selling common circulation coins in general. Most dont realize when looking on eBay for example, you will find coins for $4.00 - $5.00 free shipping on something you can easily pick up at a bank.

typically only Canadian's can pick up Canadian coins at a Canadian bank.

for someone on the other side of the planet to get a coin (even a cent)for $5 delivered seems unbelievably cheap (and a total waste of the seller's time unless you buy multiples).

considering Canada's population is about .005% of the world's population I don't think the practice is unethical, it's actually providing a much needed affordable service to other collectors, and seller's like this are what keeps the hobby going.

I've bought many $5 coins that catalog at $1 or less - still cheaper than flying to Russia to get some of this years rubles.
$5 for a 'worthless' coin, while not a great investment, when it rounds out a country, collection or just because I like the design = priceless

Coin Collecting... "I'm in it for the money"
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1147 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Vary good point Wade, I want thinking about foreign collectors.
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 51 / Views: 1,549Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05