Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Do You All Recognize A Fake Morgans?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 522Next Topic  

United States
27 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2021  3:31 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Greg250k to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'd like to hear from you experts on how to tell if a Morgan is a fake. I'm attaching photos of a coin that I know is a fake. I bought it as a fake as a reference. But I'm not really picking out any detail that determines it as a fake. I have not yet weighed it.

Help?

Pillar of the Community
United States
881 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2021  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Weight. Magnetic test. Surface quality (Grainy is bad...) Compare letters / devices to
a genuine coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9907 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2021  4:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the weight is correct the rim of the coin will be noticeably thicker than a genuine coin.
1883-O Nut
Valued Member
United States
303 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2021  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
weight test first, diameter and thickness second and specific gravity third. Other quick options are the tissue test and the ice cube test. Naturally, grainy surfaces, mushy lettering and pimpled fields draw suspect too.
Valued Member
United States
365 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2021  5:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfamind to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Finer features give fakers fits. Dates and denticles can derail dirty dealers, too.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1270 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2021  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add The Silver Searcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF, Greg!

Sometimes a fake coin just looks "wrong."

This isn't foolproof, of course - genuine coins can appear "strange," and fake ones can be so good as to look perfectly normal.

Also note that toning, wear, and improper cleaning can all make determining a coin's authenticity difficult. This is why quantitative testing, like weighing, is so important.

Pictures also make identifying fakes more difficult. Not everyone is skilled enough to produce images that show a coin exactly as it appears in hand.

For example, here is a topic I posted a few years back about an 1881 Morgan. One set of pictures made the date look highly suspect, but another image with different lighting made it appear normal. One forum member even asked if the second image was even of the same coin - my so-so photography skills made them appear that much different!

Edited by The Silver Searcher
07/21/2021 7:30 pm
Learn More...
United States
20531 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2021  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Somehow this coin was struck with both the obv and rev sideways.

Sorry to bust on you a little bit @greg. Seriously though, weight, dimensions (including thickness), specific gravity, attracted to a magnet, and silver alloy are my primary tools for identifying fakes.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
27 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2021  6:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greg250k to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I definitely see the grain is very different than the real Morgan. And I will have to bring my scale down from the cabin where it's been weighing broadheads and bullets. thanks to all of you for the tips. And no worries about busting on me Spence. That's how I'm figuring out all this Morgan info.
Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2021  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pmint1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The clashes die reverse is a nice touch.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2272 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  12:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cast counterfeits generally have grainy surfaces, raised bumps, and weak detail. The reeding on the edge is a dead giveaway.

Transfer die counterfeits generally have weak details, especially in the protected areas of the design. The reeding is usually obviously wrong, but may be closer to correct on newer counterfeits.

Laser-cut die struck counterfeits are harder to detect by eye, but frequently have tooling marks. Counterfeits produced in this manner will share the same surface marks and flaws as the original coin. Tooling marks suggest an attempt to eliminate these flaws. Laser die counterfeits sometimes look too good to be true. The reeding is similar to the transfer die struck counterfeits.

On all of the counterfeits, watch put for coins that are artificially toned or aged, tossed in a rock tumbler to simulate circulation, or have a gray, lifeless, dull metallic appearance.

With one exception that I know about, the counterfeits do not match any known VAM. That's a first stop if the coin does not look obviously wrong.

Fake slabs are out there. Do not rely on a slab, by itself. Verify the certification number. Make sure the coin in the slab matches the picture on the TPG site, if one is available. If the TPG site does not have a picture, make sure the coin in the slab matches the grade and description of the one on the TPG site. Examine the coin closely. Avoid unknown basement slabbers or at least treat the coins as raw coins.

Avoid online auction sales from zero-feedback sellers, sellers who have other suspicious coins online, or sellers who do not accept returns. Blurry photos, listings that sound too good to be true, sellers who have only rare dates, sellers shipping from outside the country, and sellers who peddle garage sale junk plus a few very rare coins are all highly suspect.

The three easiest tests for metallic authenticity are weight, specific gravity, and eddy current slide. To date, I am not aware of any counterfeit that can pass all three.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5283 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good summary, fortcollins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2369 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  12:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I weigh, magnet test, measure thickness, and observe features.
Valued Member
United States
485 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  4:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cointagous to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One thing I did not see is doing a ping test for the correct sound. I have two fake Morgans on my desk that look very deceptive meaning quite good. But if you give them a ping they sound nothing like the real thing.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2369 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't do the ping due to it adding contact marks to the coin and it may be defined as graffiti on a previously nice ms coin.
Valued Member
United States
303 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  4:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have found the ping test to be unreliable. I tested a Trade dollar that passed the ping test but the weight and specific gravity were both way off. It turned out to be silver plated over a copper core.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 522Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05