Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canadian Mint Silver Coins - Yellowing?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 346Next Topic  

Canada
2 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2021  6:17 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Mistake to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just looking for answers.
I purchased directly from Canadian Mint - 2016 Geometry Art Silver coins. The coins were never taken out of their original capsule. I do not open that box often but I recently looked at them and I was stunned to find that on of the 5 coins had changed color, it turned yellowish on both sides. (See pics - Beaver bottom right)

My question: Can a silver coin in a capsule turn color or tarnish? Customer Service person told me that this is normal! Really! So why bother buying silver coin in a capsule?

Thank you for your comments.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1847 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2021  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Something in the air that day.
Canada
2 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2021  7:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mistake to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Something in the air! The coins are in separate capsules.
Just want to know if this is "Normal"
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8472 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2021  7:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not "normal" but not unexpected.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
10826 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2021  9:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those capsules are not airtite so depending on the environment, they will tone.
I have four silver 50 cent pieces where one side turned a nice golden colour just from sitting where they were stored.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
171 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2021  11:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know for U.S. coins like proof sets and such, you often see toned coins in their original holders. As mentioned already, none of these are completely air tight (even TPG slabs) so the enclosed coins can develop toning depending on how and where they're stored, especially if there is a smoker in the house or when living in an area with higher pollution. Taking extra precautions like using Intercept Shield boxes for storage may be beneficial.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6102 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2021  07:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Can a silver coin in a capsule turn color or tarnish? Customer Service person told me that this is normal! Really! So why bother buying silver coin in a capsule?

Though not air tight, the capsules do offer a good degree of protection for the coins. For example, it allows them to be easily handled without fear of getting fingerprints on them. That said, toning or the development of colouring on a coin in one of the Mint's capsules can occur and does - it's not uncommon.

It's a question/discussion topic that has come up a few times here on CCF. I believe the colouring is due to a reaction within the coating the Mint applies to its coins - under certain conditions (e.g., prolonged light exposure, heat, humidity), some coins develop a golden tone due to this reaction.

Here are some previous discussion if you're interested:

- Group of Seven - Golden Coin?
- Proof Set Error? 2016 150th Anniversary of Transatlantic Cable
- Something Odd About Some R C M Coins

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
640 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2021  11:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wilsonwu89 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This seems to be an issue for coins from the mid 2010s

I have a proof set that toned a complete golden color it's beautiful
Learn More...
United States
102028 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1265 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2021  9:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dcadon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the case of the golden silver was thoroughly discussed here: http://goccf.com/t/319521&whichpage=3
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6102 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  07:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
the case of the golden silver was thoroughly discussed here: http://goccf.com/t/319521&whichpage=3

Just FYI, this link directs to a page (Page 3) within the "Group of Seven - Golden Coin?" thread already linked above. IMO, it would be best to take an extra minute and start reading at the beginning of the thread to get the full picture.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
07/23/2021 07:57 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 346Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05