Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1973 Lincoln Cent - So Pretty It Looks Fake!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 466Next Topic  

United States
15 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2021  8:27 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Easter23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This really is a pretty penny, more so in person. Unfortunately I let it get a little tarnished because I did not store it properly. Anyway, check out the reverse, the lettering and the rest of the penny if you be so kind. I've ordered the 2022 Red Book and the blue book so that maybe I can understand coin collecting and what to look for, at least a little more than I do now, which is very little. I've learned to keep my impulsive assumptions at bay because I've been sooooo so wrong in the past, #129315; and I am careful to give my opinions on what I think is an error because I've been wrong most times. Will someone elaborate on this penny, if you don't mind?

Learn More...
United States
20625 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2021  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@east, it is always helpful when you tell us what you are seeing with the coin in hand. Right now, all I am seeing are isolated tics and light scratches from circulation. As far as being wrong a bunch about what constitutes an error, I am hoping that you aren't feeling shamed by anyone here. We all (myself especially) make tons of mistakes and CCF is an opportunity to learn.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
3105 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2021  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

The coin presented looks like a normal circulated cent. It took some hits and retained some scratches.

As for being wrong a lot of times, I am wrong more times than not, but I keep trying, sometimes I get it right and that feels great.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60822 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2021  8:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This appears to be an ordinary lightly-circulated cent worth just face value.

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
11657 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2021  8:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are referring to the dings in the letters, those are not errors but PMD. (Post Minting Damage)

It is only an error if it happens during the actual striking of the coin so
things like dings, scratches, discolouration, bent letters, flattened letters etc. are nearly always PMD.

If you are going to be looking for errors, suggest you read
up on what an actual error is.
Sites like error-ref.com and wexlers are two good sites.

It would also help if you studied on the minting process as to further understand
what can or cannot happen during the striking of the coin.

Plus you always have the people on this site who can help while you learn.
Valued Member
United States
368 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2021  9:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfamind to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not to be the bad guy in the house, but you'll want to get accustomed to not handling almost uncirculated (AU) to brilliant uncirculated (BU) coins. Our fingers impart oils that, over time, can destroy that nice luster!
Edited by halfamind
07/21/2021 9:31 pm
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2021  11:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Easter23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all! I am trying to learn, I have the blue and Red Book that should be here tomorrow, and I want to order one on errors. I was making sure it wasn't an error, because I've made that mistake but getting better, I'll stare at a coin for three days or three weeks, lol, thinking t's post mint damage or whatever, but wonder if I'm wrong. Oh, I'm sorry but I don't know how to reply to individual posts, but to answer one of the questions, no, no one has tried to shame me on here, and thank you for the concern! I've had that happen on other sites, buy everyone is helpful and honest, but no one has come off as arrogant. I've kind of studied for about 5 months, and it takes someone with keen eyesight, and someone who knows what they're looking for. I always ask just in case. If I see a penny that looks weird I'll usually look at it for a long time then finally ask, haha. I want to learn and I promise I'm really not that ignorant I'm just uneducated about the coins. There are so many and so many different varieties/errors/years, just a lot to take in. I got addicted to the Lincoln cents more than anything, I want to find something, even if it's not worth much! But I'm hooked on hunting. Pocket change, love it. Any suggestions on Errors to purchase? And other than the red and blue book, (I've asked before), what would help me the most, book wise? suggestions
Edited by Easter23
07/21/2021 11:34 pm
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2021  11:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Easter23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, and I know better than touch them, I gotta stop that. And I know not to clean them, I did it twice haha and apparently it's a no no, I destroyed a couple face value coins and read it was frowned upon by collectors and they can tell.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6861 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2021  6:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I destroyed a couple face value coins and read it was frowned upon by collectors and they can tell.

Never never clean your coins, and yes, we can tell. More importantly, cleaning destroys any numismatic value they may have.
ça va bien aller

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53486 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2021  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also having the right terms will help:

Coin damage is not an error. It is post strike. Even Machine Doubling is post strike.

Varieties coin coins are made on the die. So the first coin till the last it is a die variety. Machine Doubling does not change the status, it just a machine doubled variety. But to a seasoned variety collector, they despise them. It is a distraction on the variety. The coin graders will grade a machine doubled coin, and do not have issues with it. But variety collectors will move on to a coin that is not a problem coin to them.

Errors coin are a one of a kind coin. A more of a one time happening.

Die events are issues with the die. Many different types of these. But to a serious variety collector, they look for the earlier die states and not distracted to die event coins.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Learn More...
United States
20625 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2021  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I want to order one on errors.

Here you go:

http://goccf.com/t/401681

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
2238 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  11:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SamCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Coop Mike Diamond has said in responses I've read here that he considers MD to be a minor form of error as it occurs before the coin leaves the striking chamber for the final time. I prefer this definition of errors to the one you gave, since obvious errors like double strikes and double denomination coins would not be errors under your definition.
My best finds:
1996 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/372066
1995 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/376071#3225244
1972-P DDO-008/FS-108: http://goccf.com/t/405558
2000-D Maryland Quarter Rotated Die http://goccf.com/t/394553
1988-P "Reverse of '89": http://goccf.com/t/399390
Massive strike through error on 1957-P Jefferson nickel http://goccf.com/t/402781
United States
40 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  04:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Luvdattcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good pics though...and coin is super gleamy and bright for sure.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 466Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05