Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Time To Experiment On Cleaning Coins

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 957Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
462 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  12:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add My2cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I realize that acetone is flammable I only put it there for a split second to take the picture and then moved it
Edited by My2cent
07/23/2021 12:05 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5025 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  2:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The acetone VAPOR is also highly flammable. At room temperature, those vapors are above their flash point. All they need is a source of ignition for the vapors to ignite and go KABOOM!

You are exceedingly lucky to have been able to make that post, rather than be in a hospital ... or dead.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15871 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  2:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You know when you have copper or copper plated zinc cents in the environmental condition that you found them in , nothing you can possibly do to them will make them collectable . They will always be corrosive detailed coins .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3518 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You are exceedingly lucky to have been able to make that post, rather than be in a hospital ... or dead.

And didn't burn the house down Don't do that again
Valued Member
United States
462 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  3:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add My2cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After separating the zinc from the copper pennies I did the boil again with just the copper coins and I was very surprised how clean they actually came.

They may not be collectible to anybody else but I will keep them myself in my collection so that is no loss. I do believe I may have found something interesting for my collection in there anyways. It's also nice to know how to clean other brass and copper items.

As for the acetone. My house was well ventilated with windows open and the acetone stayed far away from the flame with the exception of that one very quick picture but I do also keep a fire extinguisher right there in the kitchen at all times.
Thanks for the little knowledge about the meth labs though. Lol I did not realize how combustible it truly was until then so I will take the advice into consideration and not do it again. Thank you for your concern.
Learn More...
United States
103783 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
After separating the zinc from the copper pennies I did the boil again with just the copper coins and I was very surprised how clean they actually came.
Impressive!

Quote:
I do also keep a fire extinguisher right there in the kitchen at all times.
Everyone should do this. Everyone.
Valued Member
United States
462 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add My2cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes jbuck I agree, they should but sadly not everyone does.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20373 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  10:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Go to auto parts store and ask for battery acid. Use this to soak all those coins for about one week. Then rinse with vinegar for another week. Now if anything is left, use it as a paper weight.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
462 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2021  04:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add My2cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely suggestion just Carl.
I guess they say it is better to be a *** Edited by Staff | The bad word filter is in place for a reason. Bypassing the filter and making the intended word obvious anyway is completely unacceptable. ***
I think I will stick to what I have already done though. thanks anyway.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8340 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  11:25 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have you heard of the St. Francis Hotel in San Francisco before? They have an actual coin laundry on the premise. Not exactly numismatic friendly, but not the point either.

9IqHCVRbidA
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Valued Member
United States
462 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  01:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add My2cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Washing coins like golf balls lol
Learn More...
United States
103783 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  10:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Go to auto parts store and ask for battery acid. Use this to soak all those coins for about one week. Then rinse with vinegar for another week. Now if anything is left, use it as a paper weight.

Quote:
Have you heard of the St. Francis Hotel in San Francisco before? They have an actual coin laundry on the premise. Not exactly numismatic friendly, but not the point either.
Money laundering.... I do not think it means what you think it means.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2433 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  8:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I get expirimentation coins at the scrap yard in the trunks and anywhere else that is wet. Once I was in a car with a bunch of broken slabs from really nice coins but no coins found in there. I did have permission to do this so don't be worried. I look for the coins while pulling parts from the vechicles.
Valued Member
United States
462 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  9:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add My2cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Back when I was doing junk cars I was not collecting coins so I'm positive that I was missing out.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 957Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05