Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1943 S DDO? RPM? Steel Penny Found In Sealed Box

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 532Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2021  7:31 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add cooincollecter to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi I found this really cool Steel S mint penny in a sealed box of old wheats.

It looks like the S is repunched?

I was told you guys are the smartest soooo &

Pillar of the Community
United States
6852 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2021  7:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll let the smart ones answer after I do

Your cent looks like it is the result of Machine Doubling.

to the CCF!

ša va bien aller

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53449 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2021  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is die wear. Note all the affected areas are moving towards the rim direction. Devices and mintmarks.

These are not doubled dies. They are just an aging die. Consider that the Steel dies and Steel planchets are not a good match for the dies. (they wear faster)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
601 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2021  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks to be a re-plated too, which I've notice amplifies existing condition on the coin.
-makecents-
Pillar of the Community
United States
6852 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2021  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
coop, I was primarily looking at the reverse, the lettering in ONE CENT seeing the Machine Doubling.
ša va bien aller

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2021  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cooincollecter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ahhh yes Coop Steel on Steel would make since to wear a die quickly.
So pretty common?

Learn More...
United States
20601 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2021  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes common--yours is a good example of a tired die though.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
3087 Posts
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
303 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2021  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Check VestigeWolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add VestigeWolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With the question answered, I noticed it is in very good condition with beautiful toning. I would put it in a 2 x 2.
Discovering the truth does not have all the answers.
Learn More...
United States
103793 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60763 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  10:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5328 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  10:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Notorious steel cent die wear on the obverse. Yes, 2x2 worthy. Nice.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cooincollecter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great info thanks all. Even on the Greaser I posted.

Question?
I have 10 or so id like to post.
Should I make one post and put a few coins in that post instead of spamming the forum?

Thanks 4 the welcome
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53449 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  10:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Best to stick to one. If the 10 are all the same thing, then posting one, you will then have the answer for the other 9.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2021  01:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cooincollecter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
cool thanks. Accidentally hit report link on your comment haha sorry!
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2021  10:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RobertRansom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin. I think a closer look should be taken at the MM. There is a significant separation between the raised visible "S" and the flattened section to the right. The coin does exhibit Die Deterioration, however, MD should also be considered as a contributing factor, IMO.
Comments welcomed.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 532Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05