Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Do You Grade A Bill?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 713Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community

Canada
1320 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  5:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Idk if it's worth more, coins and Canada has it as a minor premium, I got a 2$ bill in decent shape 1986 AUK prefix. Worth saving? I'll post pics in the grading forum a little later
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60822 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Right, need pics of both sides to start.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6414 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  6:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As already mentioned, images are needed to assist you in a meaningful way.

As far as your initial question goes...

- For a note to be uncirculated, it can not have any folds - either across the bill or at the corners. The centering of the printed design also impacts the grade. Better-centered notes will grade higher than poorly-centered notes (all other things being equal).

- If the bill has even one fold it can be graded no higher than AU. The more folds, and/or the heavier the folds, the lower the grade.

- The amount of circulation wear and soiling also impact a bill's grade - the more of these, the lower the grade.

Images of your bill should provide folks with what they need to give you a better sense.

BTW: The "Coins and Canada" web site has a reasonable discussion of how to grade bank notes. Find it here: https://www.coinsandcanada.com/bank...grading.php.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8550 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Post a picture in the Canadian Banknote section of the forum and someone will help you.
AUK prefix doesn't help much we also need to know the signature.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Valued Member
Canada
246 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2021  01:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cdngmt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
from coinsandcanada values (retail) of graded bills $2
CirculatedUncirculated
Varieties AG-3 G-4 VG-8 F-12 VF-20 EF-40 AU-50
Prefixes AUK to AUN
- $2.00 $2.00 $2.70 $4.50 $11.70 $17.30
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8550 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2021  05:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't know which cdngmt has quoted but Crow Bouey AUK are priced higher than Thiessen Crow AUK in catalogues.
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1320 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2021  07:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As I said definitely not uncirculated a bit rough shape.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1320 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2021  07:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why is AUH and AUG prefix so rare? Crazy priced.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1406 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2021  09:34 am  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Why is AUH and AUG prefix so rare? Crazy priced.

- from p. 371 of the 31st Ed. of Charlton CGPM:
ANOMALIES OF THE BIRDS OF CANADA ISSUE
"The Thiessen-Crow signature combination was intended to begin with $2 note AUK 1640000. However, notes with the Theissen-Crow signatures have been discovered in series AUG to AUN. Those of series AUJ are very scarce, while series AUG and AUH are extremely rare with Thiessen-Crow signatures."

-So there must have been a communication mix up in terms of which notes to use (& they had a surplus of Crow-Bouey already printed with they kept using with the new SN prefixes).

Your note looks to be VF & should be probably worth about $6-$7 (which is great for that condition!) It's collectible & you should put it in a currency sleeve.

BTW: if you'd like to see a short general video on grading, take a peak at the video on grading (below this reply). I've posted this on my Notaphylic Culture site:
https://sites.google.com/view/notap...ng-banknotes
Edited by walk2dwater
07/24/2021 09:37 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1320 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2021  10:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ill definitely take a look, my other 2$ bills I got at the bank were better condition but the basic prefix and kwl I'll definitely save it mayb my bank will get a better condition one eventually or who knows maybe a rare one lol
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1320 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2021  7:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a very long read lol, I stopped where building a relationship with bank tellers can be very beneficial for coin and bill hunting. I got lucky with hitting it off right away with the tellers at my bank:)
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1320 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2021  7:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They put all sorts of cool stuff aside for me and are even excited to show me when I come in lol:) I love it.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3541 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2021  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
your note in it's condition is worth 2$.. in my opinion.. save it if you like..
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1320 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  06:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Based on the grade of vf and auk prefix it would be worth a few dollars more. And I don't have any other special prefix 2$ bills so I'll keep it.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1320 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  06:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Or what would you say the grade of this bill is? The other 2$ bills I have would probably be AU but with the prefix they have they are just worth 2$
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8550 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  12:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF
Barely
I agree with walk2dwater about value
It's a keeper
-from PCGS website
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 713Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.49 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05