Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Unknown Possible Emergency Money Unique? (Belgian Poor Token)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 483Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Netherlands
769 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2021  05:31 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add vince1977 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi All,

Here another item that stumbles me. The weight is exact 19 grams . The size is 50 mm and 36mm on the smaller size.
In the middle a shield with C H C. At the moment still a mytserie. I hope that someone here happens to recognize this piece. For now it ends at a possible owners lead. But still very accurate for a piece that is like this?

We tried the dutch emergency money but that it seems not.
It is very well made for a local and seems to be more official If I may say. Looking forward towards any input

Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3557 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2021  05:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
that it looks like emergency money. I'd have tried to look for a city (or family?) with a coat of arms like that, but it's such a simple one there's probably lots.

I wonder if the letters are an abbreviation for some kind of motto.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4141 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2021  1:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks somewhat like a piece of Swedish plate money.
Learn More...
United States
20587 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  8:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@vince, any way for you to determine if this is a copper or silver alloy? That might help narrow things down a bit. Thx.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
2429 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What this needs is an XRF scan.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4816 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  9:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like could be lead, be careful handling
Pillar of the Community
Netherlands
769 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  03:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vince1977 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is lead for sure.
Valued Member
Netherlands
126 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  05:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eligius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This looks to be a token for the poor (armenpenning / jeton de pauvres) of the Belgian city of Kortrijk (Courtrai). There is a site listing the lead tokens from Belgium: https://www.lodenpenningen-belgie.be/447308052 Your token is however not listed. I attach a picture from this site of one of the Kortrijk tokens listed.

To find the listings for Kortrijk click on "meer" and scroll down. You may contact the owner of the site for information about your token.
Valued Member
Netherlands
126 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  05:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eligius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Learn More...
United States
20587 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  06:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well done @Elig! I think you've got it.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Netherlands
769 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  4:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vince1977 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Indeed the shield looks similair. but also Weert in Limburg in the Netherlands has the same shield and does not explain the C H C or G H G initials though... what do you think?
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3557 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My extensive checking of coats of arms only got the result of "it's actually extremely rare for a chevron to touch the top like that, and even more rare for it to not also touch the bottom".

I don't believe this is a match, but if not, I'm not sure what is a match. Those initials will probably turn out to be significant when we figure out what it is.

I distinctly recall having seen this exact design before, but I forgot where. Might easily be misremembering.
Valued Member
Netherlands
126 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2021  3:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eligius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I checked my references with coats of arms but came up only with Kortrijk. Indeed the match is not exact but close. The other tokens attributed to Kortrijk als are not exact. Weert could be possible. On the site of Dutch lead tokens: https://loodjes.nl/, your token is not listed, nor are any tokens from Weert.

I have no idea what the meaning of C H C is. Only that one of the C's could stand for Courtrai.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 483Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05