Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1901-S 25c Conundrum

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,191Next Topic
Page: of 2
Learn More...
United States
108260 Posts
Valued Member
United States
486 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2022  4:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add psuman08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Impressive work indeed!
Pillar of the Community
United States
7958 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  10:58 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you see a seam on the edge ?
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
965 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2022  01:43 am  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fantastic work!! It would be nice to see close up photos so we can understand exactly how it was put together.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2048 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2022  02:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@52Raymo perhaps it wasn't clear but I have only seen images of the coin from the two auctions. Regardless of how expertly the two halves were put together neither side matches the known die pairs nor even the reverse hub type, so PCGS really blew it. It would be interesting to see how it was done though.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3596 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2022  02:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder if the current owner even knows about all the discussion about their coin? It was purchased through Heritage 5 years ago, do you know if they ever contacted the buyer?
Valued Member
United States
416 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2022  07:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kenwright396 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats and thanks for your detective work to solve this issue.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2048 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2022  11:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Zurie I don't know if Heritage ever contacted the buyer. Jack and I both contacted them about it a while ago. Jack has a direct contact there I think. Jack also contacted Stack's but they said it was too long ago and they didn't have any info. Heritage still has it listed as "make offer to owner" but they probably aren't aware yet that the cert has been pulled. I can imagine that there's little incentive for PCGS or HA to put a lot of effort into tracking down the owner, as it would cost them money.

Unfortunately it's in the slab style with the coin sealed in all the way around the rim, so I don't think you can see the edge through those. If the owner cracked it out to investigate, that would invalidate their guarantee, right? Of course the auction images prove that it was in their slab.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,191Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: