Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help ID Copper/Brass Token, Five Pointed Star And "4" In The Middle

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 543Next Topic  
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2021  4:12 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SeatedDollar to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My brother sent me this image of three tokens he inherited from his mother-in-law. We are both longtime coin "accumulators" but not experts. He described it as thus:

One side is blank, the other has a 4 inside the outline of a 5 pointed star. Slightly bigger than a Lincoln cent. All three are blank on one side. The rim is smooth as in no ridge like on a US coin. (mother-in-law).had no idea where she got them. Thickness is 1.70 mm, midway between the thickness of a cent and a nickel.

Location is USA

Any help is appreciated!

Pillar of the Community
United States
2548 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  9:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could you get me a photo of only the 81 obverse? It looks fake to me.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SeatedDollar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oops, I'm sorry. It's probably long been spent. It was just put there for comparison of size. My brother sent this image to me, we live in different parts of the country.

But... I have to ask, who would counterfeit one cent?

Do you have any ideas about what the other, one-sided tokens are?

The fact that they are thicker than a Lincoln cent planchet signifies to me that they are not simply cent blanks hammered a bit to be thinner and larger, but rather purposely made planchets.

Thank you!
Learn More...
United States
103894 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

For what it is worth, I do not think that cent is fake, just looks a little rough.

As for the unidentified items, I have no idea, but hopefully someone will.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  3:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SeatedDollar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see. It's quite likely my brother found it on the pavement in a parking lot somewhere. People really don't pick up pennies anymore. Not worth it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2548 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  4:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
2548 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks rather cast to me.
Learn More...
United States
103894 Posts
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SeatedDollar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, beat up is all.

I'm trying to gently steer the conversation back to the as of yet unidentified ONE-sided TOKENS with a five pointed star and a mysterious "4" in the middle.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this before?

Earl
Learn More...
Australia
13815 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  10:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just guessing, but I would assume the tokens are some kind of game counter, for a board game or similar.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SeatedDollar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you. That's kind of what I was thinking.

I'm getting the idea that they are not of any numismatic value.

Is that a fair conclusion?

Thank you everyone!

Earl in Missouri, USA
Valued Member
United States
180 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  10:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HappyHippo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could be anything. Wonder if it was a golf marker?
Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  11:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pauley to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like a Army Medallion to me As I always Say I could be wrong. Just my opinion.
_______________________________________________________________________________________

As above , So Below
As Above, So Below
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 543Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05