Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Silver Dollar Collectors:any Concerns About $100 An Ounce Silver, Inflation?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 658Next Topic  

United States
41 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2021  5:05 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add FlyingTiger to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I just left the gas station and $35 gave me just over 1/2 tank.Grrrrrrrrr!I think later this year our wanted coins could begin to skyrocket.I'm trying to get missing coins in my collection before the hammer drops.I even wanted a Gold $10 Indian and $5 Indian soon.
There is even talk about hyper inflation and a reset.
Any thoughts or concerns about this?Strange times we live in.
Valued Member
United States
166 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2021  5:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1847bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Strange times is right. I just don't see metals moving much higher. I was reading reports from miners and their production estimates. They should keep up or exceed demand.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4231 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2021  5:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is possible, but predicting the details and the timing would be almost impossible I think.

The instability of a real hyperinflation could cause societal unrest.
Valued Member
United States
231 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2021  5:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good question. People flock to fear when something unexpected happens. Fearful people flock to precious metals and coins. Additionally, covid has allowed people to get back into coin collecting. A combination of those factors has increased the prices in portions in numismatics, as seen in the silver dollar department.

But, what goes up must come down. I personally can't see $100 silver anytime in the near future. I believe the 1921 Peace dollars will drop in price, and things slowly going up in price due to inflation. The price of silver has been steady lately, and seems to be at a healthy balance.

The monetary reset has been happening in many countries over the years, but I don't think it will happen in the United States soon. There needs to be something done about our system, but it is not out of control at this moment.

Fear sells, so sometimes you have to look from a broad perspective and think long term.
United States
41 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2021  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add FlyingTiger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are fixing to vote on the ReCon bill next week that will add another 3-1/2 trillion dollars to the money supply.And another by Bi-Partisan bill after that for another trillion.It's not that stuff goes up it's that your money is worth less.
People are flocking to owning physical silver and it's being temporary held down with trading paper silver and shorting the market.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18959 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2021  8:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The underlying silver value will always have part influence on numismatic premium value silver dollars.
Valued Member
United States
178 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2021  11:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HappyHippo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Remember that the gas prices have been artificially low because of the lower demand from the economy. Now that the economy is coming back, we should see the resumption of high gas prices like we did before CoVid. This is not really inflation, at least for this particular commodity. I seem to remember $4 gas prices a few years ago in the midwest. It is a good sigh that gas prices are rising. It means the demand is higher.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9160 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  3:26 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the pandemic couldn't get silver to $100 (or even to $40-$50) I'm not sure there's anything in the universe that could anymore short of rampant, massive speculative buying of silver positions, Hunt-style. Perhaps the entire exhaustion of silver ore supplies worldwide, but that's unlikely in the extreme.

The rare coin market has been strong lately, but the correlation with spot metal prices is tangential at best, and mostly affects bullion issues and junk silver.

One of my co-workers is a fairly large bullion buyer, stacker and seller, and a silverbug to the core, and even he does not see silver at $100 anytime soon. Both of us were strong buyers back when it was sub-$15 an ounce and at $25 it's profitable enough to warrant selling in quantity. That alone helps keep prices down a bit (profit-taking.)

Silver's primary value in a major (doomsday) crisis is in its intrinsic value as a medium of exchange/store of wealth to purchase more useful goods (fuel, medicine, food, water, shelter, power, and ammunition.)
Longhorn Coins & Exonumia
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC - CCT #890

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Valued Member
United States
166 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  4:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1847bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sound advice.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2423 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The prices will be going down I think.
Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  9:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pmint1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To his original question though, what would the value of key date Morgan's do "if" silver went to $100 an ounce? Would a coin like a mint state cc dollar increase proportionally or not necessarily? I've wondered this myself.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18959 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  11:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From my observations 50 years of numismatic collecting, I have found that there is definitely a loose connect between coin prices generally, and bullion prices generally.

Ancient gold coins for example, have two components that make up their total price:
1. A gold value, which cannot be ignored, that is very much the minor component, and
2. a numismatic component, which makes up the almost all of the total value.

As with the example above
with a scarce Morgan in MS++ grade, the silver value (which also cannot be ignored), makes up only a very minor component of the total value.
Obviously, the numismatic value will be very much the major component of the total value.

Also obviously, a common Morgan in a lower grade (say, EF), the silver value will make up almost all of the total value.

In a market that covers all Morgan dollars, the proportion of numismatic value versus silver value has to be determined for each individual coin, to explain to oneself how the total value must be arrived at.
This determination of value is part of a learning experience for all who collect Morgan dollars and for numismatics generally.
Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2021  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pmint1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At $100 an ounce I wonder what effect it would have on a moderately priced Morgan.
Say a 98-S in AU. I see these raw for $100 now and slabbed closer to $200. I assume they would increase 50% or more but I have nothing to base it on.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9160 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Key date Morgans are valuable by date and mintmark, so a coin such as an 1893-S, 1895, etc. would not gain much value from $100/oz. silver as even the most worn examples are worth multiple times that much.

The impact on common dates and bullion-grade coins would be quite noticeable. At $100/oz. massive melting for profit-taking would likely destroy hundreds of thousands or more coins. Most folks would cash in on any silver they could get their hands on, and the sudden glut would definitely have a damping effect on the silver markets, bringing prices per oz. back down. We saw this quite a bit in the late 70s and early 80s before the Hunt crash. Even coins with numismatic value were being melted down, along with hallmarked sterling, heirloom pieces, jewelry, and anything/everything else. If such an event were to happen again, it might create additional scarcities among formerly common-date coins since they would be the most available to obtain and melt down, but that's wildly speculative.
Longhorn Coins & Exonumia
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC - CCT #890

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  10:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Michael Joynt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think if we run into another covid crash part two in the stock market people will flock to precious metals driving the prices to the moon.

That said, I think the prices can't sustain being hyper inflated price and would return to lower prices.

I remember when I found out my collection of 1964 coins were worth more in Silver value than collector value. I was disappointed at first but then I thought, hey, at least I have an investment in Silver now.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 658Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05