Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1859 No Variety That I Can See. I Would Grade It VF-20. Need Confirmation

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 805Next Topic
Page: of 2

Canada
46 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2021  5:22 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Nickel picker to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
1859 no variety. All pics are of same coin different lighting and angles. I would like confirmation, or correction, on a vf 20 self grade...

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3917 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2021  6:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I think that it's a VF-30. I'm not into the Haxby die numbers. It's hard to believe that the 2 Reverse photos are the same coin.
Canada
46 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2021  9:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nickel picker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again sir. Yeah they are the same coin I assure you. The head on shot wouldnt show the field marks, so angle and lighting showed on the second shot.the obverse is really nice, but the reverse is bringing down the overall grade... to me anyways.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8578 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2021  10:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF30
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Canada
46 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2021  11:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nickel picker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks DBM. Appreciate it.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
673 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2021  08:21 am  Show Profile   Check TheDeductible's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yea, it just makes VF-30 imo
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2596 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2021  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
it looks like the photos have been processed with some sort of smoothing filter / art effect.

NP, are these raw shots?
Coin Collecting... "I'm in it for the money"
Pillar of the Community
United States
2554 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  5:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Vf30
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eagle_Eye to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi there.
I've never seen one of these before.
I've noticed something interesting on your coin.
I'm guessing that is an olive branch running through her hair.
In the second to the last picture,
look where the Stem ends.
Something raised there outside of the design and next to that looks like a faint o even though it looks more like a zero to me.
Zoom way in!

Is it okay to point out the things that I see on other people's posts ?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3917 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
She has a laurel wreath in her hair and I don't know what you mean about where the stem ends ... on the Obverse (portrait side) or the reverse where there are 16 stems on the maple leaves.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8578 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  9:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eagle_Eye to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@okiecoiner
Sorry about not being clearer about where I see what I do.
I downloaded the OP's pic and highlighted the area in question.
I hope that is okay.
It may be Pareidolia.
Not sure.

EE
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3917 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  07:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do a search for 1858 or '59 cents in this variety subforum and you'll see all kinds of Obv portrait examples. They all seem to have something where you have pointed out. It may be a piece of hair or ribbon or leaf lobe or something. It can't be a die chip because they all (the dies) seem to have something there. It may have been a chip off the hub that struck the dies. I guess we'll never know.
Edited by okiecoiner
08/01/2021 07:18 am
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  08:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eagle_Eye to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@okiecoiner.
Thank you.
I will indeed search for those.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2554 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see an error there.
Canada
46 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  3:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nickel picker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the input on my photos. I am just using my phone camera no filters but obviously terrible lighting. Ill adjust and try to do better.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 805Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05