Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This Finally A Woody! 1964 D Cent

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 333Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
2423 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  5:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This was found crh. I think it is a woody. They say third time is the charm. This will be the third time I will be posting a suspected alloy issue on here. Thanks.

Same coin different lighting.
Valued Member
United States
366 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfamind to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In certain lighting I see what you mean, but I'm not convinced it's a woody. (They're more common, I believe, in the Lincoln Wheat cent era.). Here is one of my better ones.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1140 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
if the discoloration is merely a surface stain, a soak in acetone would remove or at least reduce it, in which case this cent would not be a woody
Pillar of the Community
United States
2423 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It was already acetone soaked. Most of the coins I post are already soaked.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53353 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The color differences show it is a woody on the last coins image.

While the color difference on the 1964 is also extreme, the cause is different. On a woody it is a metal mixture issue. On the 1964 those are rolling lines. Note how they are at the same angle, but in different directions because of the rotated setup on the US coins. If this were a Canadian coin, then the lines would be at the same direction on both sides of the coin. (They use medal alignment on their coins. So if you drilled a hole at the top of the coin, both sides of the design are the same. US coins they are 180 degrees different.)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15858 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  7:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well if you want my 2 cents , yes in my opinion it is a mediocre woody .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53353 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the rolling lines they are only on the surface. They wear off the coin. On a woody the affect is in the planchet and remains even when there is circulation wear.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Pillar of the Community
United States
3055 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53353 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Note of the cheek bone. The lines were there, but now have worn off that area. Just fie flow lines. Note part of the planchet mixture. There are none that I know of on the Memorial cents. But if there is, it will show up someday. Even the zinc cents have issues with roller lines:

Note on the unstruck area, you can see these lines and after the strike you can see they are a lot lighter. When the BU goes off the coins, they show up on them on the Memorial copper cents.
Richard S. Cooper

Pillar of the Community
United States
6805 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My vote is, yes, a woodie.
ša va bien aller

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60661 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  9:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My vote is, no, not a woodie.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3055 Posts
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
302 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  10:50 pm  Show Profile   Check VestigeWolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add VestigeWolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The amount of stuff you learn here is amazing. I vote not a woody.
Discovering the truth does not have all the answers.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 333Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05