Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Old Red Blue Books - Worthless Or Not?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 560Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
3822 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  7:07 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Joe2007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Have purchased a few antiques and collectable book lots at estate auctions and have assembled a fairly sizeable stack of old Redbooks from late 1960's to the early 2000's. Was wondering if they had any market, value before I take them down to the local used book store for pennies. Also have a 1959 3rd edition of the Paper Money of the United States by Friedberg - Doesn't look like they sell for much on the Bay. It is my assumption that old price guides don't fare well in the 2nd hand market.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2679 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  7:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
some of the extremely old ones have value
Pillar of the Community
United States
4197 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably not much. There are a lot of them out there.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
41895 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They do have value ,but depends a lot on condition and year. There used to be a price list in the back of the RB, don't know if the new issues have that or not. Check eBay sold values for an idea on current values.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
82 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  10:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LeatherHawk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I knew you were close to me, I would offer to get them from you. I love old books! Collectible or not, they make me !
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20470 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  08:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
in the latest edition of the Red Book, pages 436 and up there are approximate values of the old Blue and old Red Books.
However, finding anyone that would buy them for those prices is sort of a joke.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
8534 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  02:54 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did you know the Whitman Red Book Guide book of United States coins has a book about Red Books?

It's part of the Whitman Series of Coins books and it's pretty darn interesting too. I don't even collect them but I really enjoyed reading that book and it's in the library along with my favorite 1982 Red Book that Q. David Bowers gave me and has his and so many other great dealers and collectors signatures inside.

"A Guide Book of The Official Red Book of United States coins" by Frank Colletti

It sold out fairly quickly and it's now out of print, but not too hard to find, the pricing data contained is way out of date, but the information on various editions is entertaining and informative.

I've seen the softbound copies sell for $6 to $20 often enough. The limited leather bound is extremely tough to find and probably really expensive when uncovered in the wild.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
08/03/2021 02:56 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2539 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  09:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TreasHunt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ westcoin

Thanks for the post, yes, the book is sold out, and tough to find in nice condition.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2539 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  10:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TreasHunt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PS: It is possible that a new edition may be in the works.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 560Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: