Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ancient Roman Coin Question Part 1

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 365Next Topic  

Canada
20 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  8:42 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SirKayDeVonKwon to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello Everyone.

Recently, I've got few roman coins. I have identified some of them, but I am not really sure about this coin. (I have few mores to ask but for later)

What would be the year and name for this coin?

Is it genuine ancient roman coin?

Thank you,
Pillar of the Community
United States
5074 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  10:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack jeckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I think there is a separate forum for identifying coins.
Canada
20 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SirKayDeVonKwon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh Thank you, And sory, I didn't know which forum I was in
Pillar of the Community
United States
5997 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  08:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Similar, but no thunderbolt in exergue.
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=6704778
Edited by Bob L
07/26/2021 08:24 am
Valued Member
United Kingdom
75 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  2:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnConduitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks genuine. As with Bob L's link, it's a Probus antoninianus from Rome, minted AD276-282. The reverse is ROMAE AETER. The reference is RIC V Probus 187 http://numismatics.org/ocre/id/ric.5.pro.187

Quite a few mintmarks are listed (probably to identify each 'officina' at the mint). I think yours is RVA, a few of which you can see on the link above.

It's 'silver', but official coins by then were somewhat debased so it contains a lot more copper than earlier Roman coins. It might even only be 5% silver.

Despite being very old, it's not worth a huge amount, especially as it isn't in pristine condition.
Canada
20 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2021  12:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SirKayDeVonKwon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Aw Thank you so much bob L and Johnconduitt even though I posted this post on the wrong forum.

I have few more to ask for later. Next time I will make sure I post on the correct forum

Thank you,

Kay Kwon
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1829 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2021  04:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maridvnvm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A few minor corrections and some additional information.

Obv:- PROBVS P F AVG, Radiate, bust left in imperial mantle, holding scepter surmounted by eagle
Rev:- ROMAE AETER, Roma seated in temple, holding Victory and sceptre
Minted in Rome (RVΔ in exe) Emission 7 Officina 4. A.D. 282
Reference- RIC 187 Bust type H

Part of the coded AEQVITI series of Rome (This being the V)

For more information on this coded series see here:-

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/d.../equiti.html

or here:-

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/n...?key=AEQVITI

These were "silvered" rather than silver.

Regards,
Martin
Canada
20 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2021  11:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SirKayDeVonKwon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you so much for additional information. I am really happy to know the history behind this coin.

Sincerely,
Kay Kwon
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 365Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05