Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1968-D Kennedy Half - Missing Date

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 369Next Topic  

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  9:45 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add bwelcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently came across a 1968-D Kennedy half that has the "6" missing - Please see enclosed (sorry best picture I could get). In looing closely at the coin I see no signs of any physical (scraping, etc.) attempts to remove the number. Welcome any thoughts you may have - is this worth sending in for grading/authenticating.

Thanks in advance for your help here.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3055 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  9:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First off,

Second, How do you know it is a '68? Could it be '78, or '88?

Are there markers on the coin that points to a '68?

Third, It could be a Grease Filled Die, not allowing the digit to form.

I'm sure that the experts on this subject will chime in shortly..
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3214 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  9:53 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

It may be that your coin was Struck Through Grease. The 6 on the die was filled with grease and debris from the minting process. It's surprising, but it's not that rare. The more of the design that's missing, the more of a premium price the coin can bring when sold. This is a nice example and should be worth a few dollars to the right buyer.

Interesting error! Thanks for posting.
ANA Member ID: 3203813 - CONECA Member ID: N-5637
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Valued Member
United States
178 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  10:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HappyHippo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is cool. I would also like to know how you know it is a 1968. Does the edge look like 40% silver?
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  10:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bwelcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can see some faint remanence of a "6" particularly when compared with other 1968-D's.

Thanks everyone!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2423 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a Greaser.
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bwelcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
how do I know if the edge is 40% silver?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60667 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  10:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Much larger pic would help resolve this.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1140 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  10:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Compare the edge color of your half to others with known dates from 1965 to 1970, and those from 1971 onward, with which group does the edge color best resemble?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
40804 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  04:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. I would like to see a close up of that area. As to weather it is 40% silver, weight and maybe a photo of the edge.You might be able to try the tissue test?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
20556 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  07:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A better pic would help to be sure, but it does kinda look like a remnant number 6:

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
United States
386 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  08:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fplagge to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you have a mini scale, you can weigh your coin - a clad half (1971 and newer) should weigh approximately 11.34 gms. if 40% silver (Pre 1971), weight will be approximately 11.59 gms.
Learn More...
United States
103630 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1708 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2021  11:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add arby96 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a similar Quarter with a grease filled error/variety, instead of the date missing the ARTER in Quarter is Missing.

"LOVE THE HUNT!"
Edited by arby96
08/08/2021 11:08 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 369Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05