Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This A Counterfeit 1936 P Arkansas Commemorative Half?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 359Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9949 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  12:11 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Looking like a fake to me
1936 P Arkansas Commemorative Half Dollar Choice BU Unc Nice Toning
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3518 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  12:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What makes you think that?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60740 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  12:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does look like lead, I'll agree.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6024 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  12:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks suspicious to me. Details and color are way off. Probable counterfeit of recent Chinese origins.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6386 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin is certainly very "dirty" in appearance - it could be natural or it could be the result of artificial aging to hide minor flaws/discrepancies.

What concerns me more/most is the "1936" on the reverse at 6 o'clock. On the eBay lot, the numerals give the appearance of tilting up to the NE and coming fairly close to the "A" in "DOLLAR." On a genuine coin, the date is much more level and does not approach "DOLLAR" so closely. This is a red flag for me.

The low resolution of the seller's images make it difficult, for me, to make definitive assertions about other design details that might be off.

If I were a collector seeking out a 1936-D Arkansas for my collection, however, I would move beyond this one - too much potential for disappointment.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9949 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2021  12:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the comments . . .

It was the appearance of the metal for me.
I did however mess with the picture to elaborate on Comemms comment.
I also added a copy and darkened it a bit that I found on CCF facts page.
The motto on the ribbon looks level across where the motto on the questionable looks uneven and crude to me as well as HALF DOLLAR.

Quote:
What concerns me more/most is the "1936" on the reverse at 6 o'clock. On the eBay lot, the numerals give the appearance of tilting up to the NE and coming fairly close to the "A" in "DOLLAR." On a genuine coin, the date is much more level and does not approach "DOLLAR" so closely. This is a red flag for me.

Images will enlarge some if clicked on.

My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Edited by TNG
07/27/2021 12:11 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2295 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2021  8:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the upthread concerns. In addition, the seller's prior listings are almost always private listings, garage sale items, or really random things. This appears to be the first coin the seller has listed. Way too many red flags for me.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 359Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.26 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05