Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

US Classic Commemorative Coin Series: Quick Bits #26 - Stone Mtn Horses

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 306Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6440 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  5:47 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
For years, I've read US commemorative coin reference books, but don't recall coming across a reference to the names of the horses ridden by General Robert E. Lee or General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson on the 1925 Stone Mountain Memorial half dollar. I was always curious.

As collectors of the classic series are well aware, the obverse of the 1925 Stone Mountain commemorative half dollar features General Robert E. Lee and General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson of the Confederate Army. Each is shown on horseback: Lee is the forward of the two figures and is captured in a side profile; Jackson is depicted in the rear turned to face Lee (i.e., forward).

1925 Stone Mountain Memorial Half Dollar

Each General is presented riding his favorite horse - Lee riding Traveler and Jackson upon Little Sorrel.

Here's an image of General Lee on Traveler:

(Image Credit: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division. http://www.loc.gov/pictures/ 1861-65. Public Domain.)

Here's an image of Little Sorrel, taken after the Civil War and after he was donated to the Virginia Military Institute (VMI).

(Image Credit: VMI Archives Digital Collection, https://vmi.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/ 1890. Public Domain.

And now you know!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
07/26/2021 5:49 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60931 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  6:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great stuff as always!
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3560 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  6:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TIL!

I actually tried to do a listing of known named horses on coins a few years ago, but I seem to have missed this type.
(There weren't very many that I did include, but mostly because most horses on coins are anonymous and/or generic; at the time I assumed that I did an exhaustive search.)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7233 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great history well presented as always. You are indeed an amazing contributor commems.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
351 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  7:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, commems, I never really put much thought into the horses on this issue!
Valued Member
United States
166 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2021  08:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Raised on rock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Always great information. Thank you.
Learn More...
United States
104028 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 306Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05