Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1944 - Henning Nickel, - Is It A Real Fake Or Fake Fake?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 837Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  7:21 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add richvillanu to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
It's got the date 44' and the NO mint mark, but not sure if it's a real counterfeit "Henning" or NOT.
I don't see the die crack from rim to Jefferson skull or hole in the "R" of pluribus.( Only a die crack or something on the bottom of the "R")
What else should I look for, Any help would be appreciated
Thank you all

Valued Member
United States
366 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  7:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfamind to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why on Earth would someone fake the fake, that albeit worth more than the original, would not be worth faking? (No opinion here, just some amazement if it's a fake Henning.). Weight? Composition?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3061 Posts
Valued Member
United States
166 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1847bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe it is a regular mint made nickel and not a Henning.
Valued Member
United States
166 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1847bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Whoops no P.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15859 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm going with a worn counterfeit Henning .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
United States
3061 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1140 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
that's a color and wear pattern often found on warnicks, so looks like a fake of a fake
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1328 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jgfindring to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not all Hennings have the loop in the R.
Currently working on:
Australia type set
Canada type set
Three from each country (up to 416!)
UK 20th and 21st century
IHC's! NGC certified MS-62 or better, Capital Plastics Fine or better, Dansco Fine or better, Dansco any x3, and Coin Board for wall display, any grade. (I may be a tad obsessed)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60683 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  8:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it's a genuine counterfeit.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9949 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  10:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My 44 Henning has no hole in the R.
I'd say this is a genuine Henning.
I have mine 35 or 40 years now and I found it loose in bag of old nickels.
They were not worth much back then and I don't think that the other dated Hennings were discovered yet or at least very few people knew of them. So I highly doubt mine was faked to imitate a Henning counterfeit.

My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
United States
4138 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am also of the opinion, it is a genuine Henning.
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  11:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add richvillanu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@TNG
Nice looking coin.
- And thank you all for the help.
Adding this to my collection as a Henning
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18959 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2021  05:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are willing to spend quite a lot of time doing Google searches, you will end up finding a lot more about them, and how to identify them.

It may be a lot harder to distinguish a Henning from any other fake Nickel, but that is where you must build up your skill and experience.

For me it is not worth the bother, my numismatic interests lay elsewhere, although if one did come my way, I would seriously investigate it.

Henning nickels proporting to be genuine are offered on the 'Net for around $10 each. Unless you definitely know what you are buying, the risks are very high.
I already have an extensive 'black' collection, but not in this area of numismatics.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2423 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2021  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice henning!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53364 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2021  3:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Coinfrog: I think it's a genuine counterfeit.

That was what I was thinking also, but in a different term. "A real fake." At one time the prices on these were above $50 range. Seems funny the counterfeit coins are worth more than the real deals to me?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 837Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05