Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

PF Vs MS Grading Standards

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 387Next Topic  

United States
29 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2021  08:58 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add RollinCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Are the metrics to hit specific grading values different for PF than MS? Came into a 1895 25c Barber a couple months ago... it looked flawless to me (granted the NGC images show a couple scuffs on obverse I somehow missed).

NGC graded PF 61... And I guess I'm just bummed on the 61. I have MS63/64 with way more dings... so just really confused on the 61...

Mulling over whether I send it back to NGC for regrade? Send to ICG? Or accept I over-payed and maybe kick it back to re-auction.

Edited by RollinCoins
07/28/2021 09:00 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
41224 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2021  09:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do not send anything to ICG.Who graded your MS63/64?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
5354 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2021  09:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it were mine and IF I wanted it regraded I wouldn't send it back to NGC.
I'd crack it out and send it to PCGS.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
United States
29 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2021  09:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RollinCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have MS63/64 from NGC/PCGS/ICG/ANACS.... just saying the allowances for 63/64 in MS seem to be much more lenient than PF... curious if that is how its supposed to be. 63/64 generally still allow some field scuffs...non distracting dings, etc.

the fields, etc on this barber look so darn clean.. just surprised on the 61... but I dont know much about PF... so trying to understand better.

Just out of curiosity, what issues have you had w/ ICG? Ive found then to be not bad - 40/50% grades same as NGC at least on US non modern; 10-15% grades below NGC; 25-35% one grade higher; 15-20% 2 grades higher. But they are MUCH more lenient on cleaning... idk, seems 85% of what I send to NGC comes back as 'cleaned' where as ICG more like 30%. Also found good success with ICG to PCGS crossovers. Idk..rambling. ICG is quick, cheap... and I guess I dont see the issue with them. But to each their own...
Edited by RollinCoins
07/28/2021 09:43 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
41224 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2021  09:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
General consensus is it is not one of the top three companies, and I agree.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
412 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2021  10:00 am  Show Profile   Check AES's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add AES to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hairlines are what will really hold a proof grade back. Putting the the coin under a bright LED or halogen light and changing the angle will make them easier to see and identify if present, especially under 5x magnification. I received a lot of disappointing grades on proofs before I started looking closely for hairlines when purchasing raw.

IGC does a descent job with grading and I have no issue putting coins in their holders for my collection. They beat the heck out of the big two when it comes to attribution and Counterfeit Detection. But the market doesn't like them very much, so that's a consideration if you want to keep the coin readily marketable for maximum value.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2554 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2021  11:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't mind icg but I don't buy plastic, I buy coins.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 387Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05