Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Dabbled In Coins For Years

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 354Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
62 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2021  11:40 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MissyLynn to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi I'm from Arkansas. I've dabbled in coin collecting for years as people on both sides of my family have...for lack of a better term...informally collected coins over the decades but have never had them professionally graded, slabbed, etc. So I've never had anyone to guide me and help me do it the proper way, but the interest has always been there thanks to a 1964 Kennedy half dollar that I received when I was in high school (I graduated in 1990). And I'd look at my parent's collection...eventually I started an informal collection of my own. However my brother-in-law passed away in February. He had pancreatic cancer and my sister has been finding change...from his UNFINISHED and yet very properly done coin collection that neither of them told me about until we went on a trip and she asked me to get her change for a laundromat and I pulled out some Indian head pennies. We got to talking and she is giving me his collection. So now I'm trying to find out how to do this the way he did it, not just to honor his memory but also to preserve my coins and possibly others that belonged to my family. I did see that there is a section about inheriting a coin collection. I intend to read that when I have access to my tablet or laptop...thanks in advance. I'm looking forward to meeting you all.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1927 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2021  12:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like she's giving it to the right person - someone who will take care of it and value it like her husband did.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
22772 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2021  12:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Usually a long time collector will have some kind of organization to their collection. Either in holders and boxed or in albums. You can follow his lead or organize it which ever way gives you the most pleasure. I've always liked albums as it is easy to see the coins by flipping the pages.
When thinking about getting coins slabbed, the cost is high so you'll want a coin with a value well over $100.
Learn More...
United States
103894 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
5074 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  12:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack jeckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18997 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  03:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MissyLynn:- to the CCF.

I deeply share the loss of your Brother-in-Law.
The love of my life also passed with pancreatic cancer, and her suffering was extremely brutal. That was 8 years ago, and I still suffer from grief myself.
Try to get into his mind, and support your sister in the process.

So I can understand why want to continue with the collection in exactly the same way as your brother-in-Law did, and not as the way you may see it.

Stay here with us in the CCF, and we will see what we can do as a of brotherhood collectors. Share the details of his collection as it now stands, and together, we can help direct the future strategy of collecting that your brother-in-Law envisaged.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1391 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  09:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add owatchman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
270 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  10:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kcm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We share a dilemma: caring for a lost loved one's little metal keepsakes. My advice: stroll the markets and when confronted by temptation to either buy or sell, that is to say, letting go of a keepsake or defiling the status quo your brother in law so carefully established, ignore prices in the way he would not. His was a different dilemma. Follow your bliss. Then don't look back.

Kevin
Given the option of choosing between a very interesting coin or a rather valuable one, I'd choose the former every time . My vexation lies in the fact that the two so often coincide.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
18206 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  1:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2548 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  8:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 354Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05