Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1987 P Dime Only Copper

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 443Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
462 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2021  1:46 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add My2cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
As I was doing an experiment on badly corroded pennies I found this dime.
Originally I figured it was just discolored from environmental damage but after it was cleaned I realized that it was actually copper. So I weighed it and surprisingly it's weight is only 2.17 g.
Since it's not struck on a cent planchet I am wondering what is going on.
Is it missing the clad layers or was it on the wrong metal? Help is much appreciated

Pillar of the Community
United States
2423 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2021  1:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think it can be a layer only. I think it is just damaged. The layer would weigh less than that.
Valued Member
United States
462 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2021  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add My2cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure I know that I looked up something that said one side layer is around .05 so I figured if both layers were missing that would basically be the missing weight
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3216 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2021  5:55 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like it was buried in acidic soil. The strike is strong, so I really don't think it was missing one or both clad layers. It is possible to have a dime struck on just the copper core, but that is so rare that only a few have ever been certified. I think it's just Post Mint Damage. PMD
ANA Member ID: 3203813 - CONECA Member ID: N-5637
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60681 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2021  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, this appears to be a dug coin.
Valued Member
United States
462 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  01:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add My2cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I did get it from an abandoned shed in a broken jar with a bunch of corroded Lincoln cent. So that would cause the clad layers to fall off making it look copper?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3216 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  10:47 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the clad layers are still there, just deeply corroded. If it were a case of the clad being lost after the strike, you wouldn't have the sharp detail on the devices that you see here.
ANA Member ID: 3203813 - CONECA Member ID: N-5637
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Valued Member
United States
462 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  2:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add My2cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, understandable considering how I found them. Thanks everyone for the help.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
956 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A nice clean will show the nickel. The red color it is not cooper color. Yoko is right.
Valued Member
United States
462 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add My2cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silviosi, a good cleaning is what I did to find out that this was a Dime.
Edited by My2cent
07/29/2021 8:55 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
956 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2021  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I say good clean it is the process of restoring the coins. Sorry but outside a laboratory equip for restoration it is not possible.

You have a lot of coins like this. A no friction ultrasound could help. The rest sorry will cost you to much and no guaranty you will find a jack.
Valued Member
United States
462 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  9:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add My2cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Time and Money I don't have you are correct. It was still fun while it lasted.
Valued Member
United States
198 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  11:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numiscrat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My2Cent,

I tried explaining this in another thread earlier today. The cupronickel alloy cladding is only 25% nickel. The rest of the cladding is copper. It doesn't take much nickel to make the copper look pale. Our nickels are also only 25% nickel overall.

Now then: in a corrosive environment such as where you found the coins or the cleaning baths you used, a couple of things probably can happen which will enrich the surface in copper and make it look more like pure copper. This process is called dealloying.

For one, it could happen that the nickel is oxidized faster than the copper. Another is that both elements go into solution, but the copper plates onto the coin as conditions change. Your cleaning solutions might have been especially loaded in copper after you dissolved all of the copper corrosion products off all those cents.

Valued Member
United States
462 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  10:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add My2cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting, thanks for your intelligence on this matter numiscrat
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 443Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05