Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help With First Slabbed Coin Purchase!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 453Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
154 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  01:36 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add DouglasFir to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone! I have been looking to buy a graded 1932-S Quarter, and am having a bit of a frustrating time, here's why.  I'll be up front in saying that this will be my first slabbed coin purchase.  I am trying my best to buy the coin and not the slab, but all of the examples I'm finding are really ugly, or details grades, damaged, cleaned, carbon spots, dings in places you don't want them, etc.  Can anyone suggest a place to look for a nice coin with good eye appeal in F to VF? tried eBay,  it's a disaster, or I'm missing something maybe.  Please help.  Maybe I'm being too fussy?  Go easy on me!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2968 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  02:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a decent one on GC, but it's got 17 days remaining.
https://www.greatcollections.com/Co...0-from-photo

Might I add., personally, I think Washington quarters lose a lot of eye appeal is lower grades, especially Fine and lower, regardless of surface preservation. Since there's not a huge price spread in price from VF-XF, why not hold out for a decent XF example.

Good luck
Bedrock of the Community
United States
40931 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  04:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can also check Heritage Auctions. I would recommend getting it in a PCGS slab where ever you buy it from and check their web site before buying it to make sure it is legit.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60919 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  08:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In the words of Marshall Field, the quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20380 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  11:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Time to go to as many coin shows as possible.
just carl
Learn More...
United States
104017 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  11:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Time to go to as many coin shows as possible.
My own personal problem with that is "as possible." The list has been thin lately.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9958 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Glad you are deciding to get a 1932 S quarter in a TPG slab.
So many of these are detail coins I see sold raw.
I don't know why but maybe back in that era it was fashionable to make your coin collection shiny, nice and clean.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Edited by TNG
07/29/2021 12:44 pm
Valued Member
Canada
154 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DouglasFir to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks so much everyone for all the words of advice and help.  It's really nice to hear from the seasoned members here, I see posting so much and sharing their knowledge.  I have a lot of respect for you all.  Ty2020b, you found a nice one! In a good grade too!  thank you! I'm going to keep my eye on it.

I have recently taken interest in learning about cleaned coins, and it's shocking how many are out there for sale!  I will be purchasing the coin in a PCGS slab for sure.  I want the assurance when it comes to authenticity, and condition of the coin.  I want to step up my collecting to include more graded coins.  Coinfrog, you are right in your quote. This is an investment, and I know over time, I will appreciate having spent the extra money on a good quality, and grade of coin.
I will post when I make my purchase.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2548 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In the words of Marshall Field, the quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten

They told me that prompting me to buy a Honda quad. Yesterday as I was searching for a lost calf the the thing was burning something like 1 part oil to 3 parts gas. I will soon do an engine rebuild but for now I am pouring the oil in as fast as it goes out. I already have the parts.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5625 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  11:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just looked on eBay and easily found many PCGS-certified, no-problem examples of the 1932-S, in grades from VF-20 through MS-65. Assuming the prices are within your budget you should be able to find an acceptable coin.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 453Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05