Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Small Constantine Coin - I Think It's Fake .

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 361Next Topic  
United Kingdom
13 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  03:30 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SydneyG to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello folks,

I would be grateful for your thoughts on the coin in the image. I inherited this in a collection in the 1970s. Where it came from before that, I do not know. It sticks out as it seems to have some gold-coloured stuff on outside, though I'm pretty sure it's not really a gold coin.

I know little or nothing about Roman coins, but to me it seems fake. I don't know what the coin is (or is meant to be), and would very much appreciate an identification also please. I imagine the identification would be a key to knowing whether it was a coin worthy of being faked?

Update to post: I think this is perhaps a Follis?

If it's real, I propose to let it take its chances in an auction on eBay, but if its fake I would feel inclined destroy it rather than let someone potentially be duped by it.

Best wishes to you all,

Sydney

Edited by SydneyG
07/29/2021 04:21 am
Learn More...
United States
23597 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  03:45 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A little worse for ware, but appears genuine IMO.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
790 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  05:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These coins are sometimes called follis, and this one shows emperor Constantine the Great. It is from sometime 320-324 AD. Below the wreath (bottom of left picture) there could be "P*" which points to it being minted in Arles, France/Gaul (not 100 %sure about that though). Coins of that type (there are varieties) are described here: http://numismatics.org/ocre/id/ric.....252?lang=en

The gold coloring is a bit weird, but I see no reason to think it is fake.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3557 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  06:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This looks real to me. I'm no expert, so I can't be sure, but IIRC those coins aren't particularly rare anyway (and thus not worth faking).

As for the gold stuff, to be honest my first guess is that someone painted it gold. Not sure when, or why; maybe in ancient times, hoping to pass it off as a gold coin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2344 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin looks good to me!....Desert patina!
Nice looking coin! If you are more interested in the exergue legend maybe a very slight cleaning is needed (very slight!)
just to reveal the letters
Pillar of the Community
United States
2423 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  10:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks genuine to me.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18959 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2021  02:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Palouche. - The yellowish (not golden coloring) is known as a 'desert patina'.

I have seen lots of similar genuine coins, just like this one, = this one OK.
United Kingdom
13 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2021  06:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SydneyG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@echizento @rafjel @january1may @Palouche @Oldfordman @sel_69l

Thank you all so much for your kind responses.

I think it was the gold-effect that troubled me making me think it was some sort of replica, but then as it seems not to be that un-common - if replicas were to be made they would be made to look like a coin in better condition than this one!

I will list it on eBay in due course and see what happens.

Best wishes to you all.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 361Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05