Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help For 1911 2 1/2 Gold Indian Head

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 518Next Topic  

Philippines
27 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  11:04 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add abebos to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I need your help for on this one. Are those lines die cracks? Thank you! Or is this probably a repro?

Pillar of the Community
United States
2567 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We will need a much larger picture.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61748 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  1:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5644 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  2:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Die cracks show as raised, usually jagged lines on the coin. We need better photos but from what I can see the lines on your coin are likely scratches, dents, and/or gouges.

Indian quarter eagles are frequently counterfeited so you may indeed have a fake. Is the weight correct (near 4.18 grams)?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10000 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Without really checking my guess is that there are very few gold coins with die cracks. Gold is too soft to really damage a die isn't it?
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10000 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  7:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I did find one
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Philippines
27 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  12:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add abebos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello all. Here are some additional photos.

Thank you.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2567 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  12:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is the weight of this coin in grans?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4182 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  1:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good chance it is a fake.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2377 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  1:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The best thing to do is to send it to the grading services. Short of that, NGC has a write-up on how to detect a 1911 counterfeit.

https://www.NGCcoin.com/resources/c...ed-states/6/

From your photo, it's hard to see the obverse detail, but the mushy headdress and the scratches on the neck that are diagnostic for a counterfeit appear to be there. Use a loupe and compare with the NGC photo for yourself.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
07/31/2021 1:35 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 518Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05