Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1733 8 Reales Mexico. Real?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 314Next Topic  

United States
20 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  3:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add wizened to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Local coin shop had this. Owner suspects it to be a fake. I borrowed it to make an evaluation. What do you think?

Other info:
weight: 23.55 grams (vs 27.07 gram official weight)
specific gravity: 9.65, which exactly equates to a coin 50% silver, 50% copper.
Ring tone: sounds like silver to me.
sharpness of strike, look: You decide
Seems to be casting bubbles in abundance below the date
Within the hole, which is mostly a precise drill, there is a bit of attached silver that does not seem natural there. You can see this in the last picture I am providing.

I suppose the weight might be explained by the hole and perhaps being clipped and perhaps being water salvage coin.
Bubbles might be explained by being water salvage coin.
Specific weight: that would be hard to explain for authentic coin. Water salvage coins tend to keep their silver density or improve it, even if losing weight.
The strike just seems muddy to me.

I think it is fake.
Another question would be current fake or old fake. I would say current fake.

All opinions and observations appreciated.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2385 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks modern fake to me.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5011 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
https://www.coinarchives.com/w/lotv...472360904f07

Answering your question is beyond my pay grade here
Pillar of the Community
United States
5217 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  12:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add swamperbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
wizened Having seen quite a few of these over the years. IMO it is a numismatic forgery - recently made and essentially worthless.

The tests you did are commendable because they are scientific and repeatable.

My book on Counterfeit Portrait 8Rs is available from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Counterfeit-.../1500497177/ or from me directly if you want it signed.
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 314Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05