Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1918 Xed Out Penny.

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 43 / Views: 1,160Next Topic
Page: of 3
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2021  11:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SouthernChange86 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm wondering if anyone has seen a penny with an x on the obverse and reverse made at the mint because the xs are raised so an employee scratched the working die and I think it was because V. D. B. Is on the reverse.

Edited by SouthernChange86
07/31/2021 06:28 am
Valued Member
United States
198 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  01:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numiscrat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How about a picture? Threads started with someone's interpretation of what they see, but without clear photos, almost never seem to go anywhere productive.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
40814 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  05:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. We need to see one full coin photo of the front and back please. It would be called a canceled die.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
United States
40814 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  07:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like the coin is in a 2x2 holder? If so remove it and take better in focus photos. As of now it looks like scratches on the coin.PMD.
John1
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  07:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SouthernChange86 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is in a holder and no way can that be Post mint, you can clearly see that this was done by an employee because the anvil die is scratched from rim to rim, causing the hammer die to to strike and the planchet fills that empty space and be raised. I guess V. D. B on the reverse is from PMD?

Bedrock of the Community
United States
40814 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  08:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We need good clear photos please.
John1
Valued Member
United States
198 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  08:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numiscrat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with John1. PMD. Pictures are fuzzy, but those look cuts with a bur rolled up where the metal was displaced to the side and up. Knives tend to do that. It's just like pulling a plow across afield. A trench is made, but the displaced dirt has to go somewhere. If it doesn't come off as a shaving, it will exist as a bur until something else, such as wear, knocks it off. I used to have to deal with that on aluminum plates I was engraving for corrosion tests.

Quote:
I guess V. D. B on the reverse is from PMD?

Not seeing VDB on the reverse.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3518 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  09:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It is in a holder and no way can that be Post mint,
I see something on the coin. It looks like a piece of it is missing, under the N in cent. And I don't see V.D.B. on this coin
Learn More...
United States
20566 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  09:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes sorry but definitely not done during the minting process. This is damage.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60683 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  09:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Deliberate damage clearly.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
6810 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  12:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Damage intentionally added after it was mints, therefore it's post mint damage.
ša va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
United States
2423 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  12:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pmd.
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  1:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SouthernChange86 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3518 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  2:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll bite. What are the photos of 52 D for?
Edited by keith12
07/31/2021 2:03 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
6810 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  2:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ONE coin per thread, please.
ša va bien aller

Bedrock of the Community
United States
40814 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  3:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those photos are no better.
John1
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 43 / Views: 1,160Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.4 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05