Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1882 Shield Nickel For Grading

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 353Next Topic  
Bedrock of the Community
United States
22764 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  3:21 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What's your thoughts on this one?
Sellers photos

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2919 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
F12 Details, obv ED and looks like possible reverse corrosion removed
Pillar of the Community
United States
2385 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Vf20 smoothed.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60623 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  6:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say F-15 straight.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8336 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  03:22 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sellers photos seem like they have played with either lighting or Photoshop to mess with the surfaces they look "played with" like they are trying to hide how rough they really are.

F15 as grade likely details or even worse damaged
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10512 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  10:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
F12 based on the photos straight unless lighting is hiding the reverse scratches at K5 are deeper than seen here.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1399 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  6:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock of the Community
United States
22764 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  1:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin arrived. Surfaces are original. A few light scratches that the lighting makes look far worse than they are. What looks like corrosion in the first photos appears to be dirt.

Pillar of the Community
United States
8336 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  2:42 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Glad it wasn't as bad as we first feared with corrosion. Dirt is easy enough to make disappear. Scratches don't appear too bad you say, depending on light direction and the photo lights enhance them, I get that it can be tough when trying to shoot a photo where they show up or don't show up. I think you need to add a diffuser to one of the lights (the side that is causing the reflections) so in the last photo towards the 12:00 side, that may help. A few simple tissue papers over the lamp may do the trick. (don't start a fire though).

I'd say my grade stays about the same as VF examples usually have more dentils showing on the reverse and some details in the cuts on most of the stars. So still at F15 now no details, nice example too.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2919 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  3:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll pull the Details grade with the new pics, but stay at F12
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10512 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  11:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looking at those scratches on the reverse they are sweeping in an arc almost always a sign of some kind of cleaning/wiping using something that scratched the surfaces

F12 details
Bedrock of the Community
United States
22764 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  4:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Or maybe sliding across the bar in an old saloon?
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 353Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.4 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05