Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

First Time Post 2007 Penny

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 34 / Views: 1,025Next Topic
Page: of 3

United States
9 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  4:01 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Skittypop to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey folks, 1st time post. This is one I've had put back since I got it in pocket change, well back in 07. Sorry for the quality, using my phone. Please let me know what y'all think I got. Thanks

Pillar of the Community
United States
1985 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  4:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jasper62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a badly damaged coin.IMHO Spendable
Pillar of the Community
United States
711 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  4:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Minnimarine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When taking pictures it helps to lay the coin flat for a better view of both obverse and reverse. I agree with jasper
Edited by Minnimarine
07/31/2021 4:27 pm
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Skittypop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's definitely damaged, but I believe it was damaged at the mint while going thru the stamping machine. If it was, would it be an error coin, or just a chewed up penny as far as collectibility goes?

I'll try and get some better pictures of it if I can.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2515 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  4:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Post mint damaged coin not from the mint. Not an error. It is a spender.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5344 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  4:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is there any evidence of zinc showing? What is the coin's weight?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3105 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

The coin looks crushed to me. Look at the edge - it is crimped and folded on itself.

Nee better pictures of the coin from directly above and of the edge if you can.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53486 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  4:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin is bent. So it wasn't struck that way. Intentional damage is never worth more than face value.
http://goccf.com/t/398578#3412710
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
07/31/2021 5:11 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
6861 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin did not leave the mint looking this way. It is post mint damage ( PMD), NO mint error, sorry.

to the CCF!
ça va bien aller

United States
9 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Skittypop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No zinc showing anywhere. Don't have anything to weight it with. Here's a couple pics, but I still lack quality photo experience.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60822 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just damage, probably intentional.

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15879 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  6:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I am totally baffled why with all that damage and beat to a pulp there is no Zinc exposure .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Bedrock of the Community
United States
40885 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. I agree with PMD.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
11657 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like it may have been replated after being damaged.
Even if it was a copper coin, there would be some colour variance in the damaged areas.
The colour just seems too uniform.
Edited by JimmyD
07/31/2021 6:39 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3105 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I think the coin was squeezed. look at the last picture, by the 'NT' in ceNT. the rim is pushed in and the coin get wider slightly then narrows where the rim is at normal height again. A vice job with a re=plate?
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Skittypop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really do appreciate y'all looking and giving opinions on this coin. I've had this coin in my position for the last 13 years. I noticed it in my pocket change and as memory serves me there were several new pennies in the lot. Like all of you, I scan all change I get checking for silver, wheats and other old stuff. Under a 20 loop you can see more detail. Damaged yes, but I don't think it was in bubbas vice.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 34 / Views: 1,025Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05