Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1873 Shield Nickel Doubled Date

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 346Next Topic  
United States
37 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  4:26 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ok88beat to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is this a known double date on the 1873 Shield nickel? Any help is welcomed.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2344 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't find this one anywhere.
Pillar of the Community
United States
604 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  5:14 pm  Show Profile   Check Onedollarbillnut's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Onedollarbillnut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like machine or Strike Doubling
Tim Hughes
Pillar of the Community
United States
8330 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  04:07 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are a few 1873 Open 3 RPDs this looks like one to me, it's not MD not the distance isn't the same on the shift of the doubled numerals as it would be from Strike Doubling or Machine Doubling.

Seems like NGC Variety Plus doesn't show any photos either, and I sold my copies of CherryPickers Guide (since they were selling for around $300+ for the set) There are a few examples in it I believe.

Ed Fletcher's Shield nickel book lists many RPDs I think this one lines up best with F-107 due to also having very thick date punches, which also show a bit of a lip on the lower right serif on the 1, a couple others also have DDO seen on the amulet circle at the top of the shield, I can't tell from these photos or the level of wear on the coin. Ed's book is one of the best books on the series, it's put of print and can be kind of expensive when found now days, I sold my last copy for double what I paid for it, I kept a copy in my library. If you like Shield nickels you need to find a copy of this book.

There is also the Shield nickel Viewer available from http://www.shieldnickels.net/
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Valued Member
United States
303 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is it possible that this could be re-cut die doubling?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3483 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have the full version of the Shield nickel viewer. No match there.

I believe the clear doubling on the 73 is MD as well.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 346Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05