Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Trying To ID Coin Poss Lithuanian-Polish 1400-1600

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 345Next Topic  

United Kingdom
11 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  5:53 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add gerio2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm trying to ID this coin
Details: 18mm across, Base silver - Billon? Weight 0.7g
Identifying features:
- eagle which I why I thought Lithuanian & or Polish
- Slavic script? - see detailed photo 1) cyrillic backwards 'N' and 2) upside down V

Any help gratefully received!

Edited by gerio2
07/31/2021 6:01 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
40894 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  6:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
108 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pauley to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would try Czechoslovakia Ancient currency it has that look to me , and I am by no means any expert.
As Above, So Below
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5028 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The eagle looks like Polish 15-16th c., but I don't recognize the legends on either side as belonging to a Polish/Lithuanian coin.
The retrograde N is pretty common in this era (15th/early 16th c, but not later), and your V is probably an A.
Edited by tdziemia
07/31/2021 10:22 pm
United Kingdom
11 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  09:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gerio2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks tdziema - that fits my research today, esp re the N and V. The legends don't match anything I can find
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3558 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  09:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Archbishopric of Riga, Wilhelm von Brandenburg, ca. 1540-47.

Saurma 2731, probably Numista 130682 but could be another similar variety.

(How I figured it out: I read OTENCIA on the legend and looked around on the Saurma site for coins with eagles and a similar legend. Fortunately I decided to get the eagle variants out of the way first, and it turned out to be one of those variants.)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
791 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  10:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice work, @january1may!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5028 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  11:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, no kidding.

Even if we could see the details on the shield I never would have recognized it.

Good reminder that Prussians were in charge of lots of places along the Baltic.
United Kingdom
11 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  05:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gerio2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Only just seen this @january1may - brilliant. Thanks!
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 345Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05