Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

(George III Half Penny) Colonial Or Evasion?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 460Next Topic  

Italy
5 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  06:11 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TheKingZito to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello!
I recently bought this George III half penny for a few dollars. (I checked weight and dimensions, they coincide as per catalog).
The coin is very damaged, but some details are still visible. In your opinion, was it minted by the Mint of England or is it an Amerian copy used during the revolution?
I am not an expert on this currency!

Pillar of the Community
Canada
4231 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  07:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most of the evasion tokens were minted in England for use in England; there is nothing particularly American about them.

The evasion tokens have nonsensical or garbled legends (deliberately). These are too worn for me to read in this picture, but perhaps you can do so in hand.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1182 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  09:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks very much like a 1775 George III Half-penny from Great Britain.
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There are no problems only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Pillar of the Community
United States
2385 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  11:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Looks very much like a 1775 George III Half-penny from Great Britain.

I agree.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
9198 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  11:35 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a genuine, heavily worn English halfpenny of 1770-5.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3516 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  11:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
But no way can I make out the date 1770-1775
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9159 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  5:48 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It can be quite hard to tell regal vs non-regal when the planchet is this worn without having the weight in grains or grams. You say the weight is close to catalog so that's a point in favor of a regal origin.

Most but certainly not all counterfeits are notably underweight (otherwise, why bother making them?) but see below.

The counterfeit or imitation halfpennies of George III were intended to copy actual regal issues, with widely varying degrees of success. The idea was that they would be good enough to pass as genuine coins. They were sometimes deliberately "aged", barrel-tumbled, or struck with very shallow dies to mimic heavy circulation wear.

1775 is by far the most common date for imitation issues.
That being said, counterfeit halfpennies and farthings were being struck as far back as the 1750s or even earlier.

Often times the counterfeiters would attempt to increase their profit margins by using or re-using increasingly underweight planchets, or cut-down planchets, and differences in weight and diameter are one way to help determine the origin of a coin. Some of the more egregious fakes are half again as light as genuine coins.

(Note that this isn't always the case -- I have a definite counterfeit halfpenny that weighs in a full gram HEAVIER than a genuine regal issue, but those are rare exceptions.)

"Evasion" halfpennies came later, from the late 1770s to the 1780s and onward, and had partially or entirely fictitious legends, dates, or portraits. If a coin has the same legends and devices as its regal counterpart, it is not usually considered an evasion copper. Like Oriole stated, the evasion issues scarcely, if ever, made it across the pond contemporaneously.

Enjoy your neat find and bit of history.
Longhorn Coins & Exonumia
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC - CCT #890

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Italy
5 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2021  1:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheKingZito to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have an update!
I bought a precision scale, and still weighing it the right weight is 7.70g

In your opinion is it a royal Half Cent?
Valued Member
Canada
225 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2021  12:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add whatdowehavehere to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The face/head isn't correct for a Royal issue (it's "lumpy", for one). If you're on Eraseyourfacebook, you'll see a good group dedicated to the subject... plus: no 1775 Halfpennies weres struck by old King George's order-they are all counterfeit
Edited by whatdowehavehere
08/13/2021 12:22 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
714 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2021  04:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While I think it is likely it is a counterfeit, there definitely were genuine 1775 halfpennies minted.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 460Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05