Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Looking At Coins Vs Seeing Them?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 392Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
55 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  09:09 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Eagle_Eye to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi,
When it comes to looking at coins, especially hunting errors and varieties, do you have to look for differences or do you see them automatically ?
I don't quite understand it, but I don't have to "look" for differences, I see them without looking for them.

Everything in physical life, I see things that are out of place without trying to notice them.

Now, the only thing I can think of that may have contributed to my mind developing that skill, is some magazines from my childhood.
I can't quite remember, but there was always a "spot the differences"
Set of two pictures.
It was during Elementary school in the 70's.

Do you have to look or do you just see ?

EE
Valued Member
United States
375 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  09:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfamind to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The human brain is definitely designed to notice changes or differences, even if we don't immediately know what they are. It's probably why coin varieties & errors are appealing to many.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5030 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For a lot of us who just collect by type, or by type and date, it's not much of an issue.

However, when I get involved in some discussions out here on authenticity, then seeing becomes important.

I think that pattern recognition is definitely a skill where the more you practice, the better you get. But most of the time, I still have to look.

(And, Boys Life was one of the magazines that had that game)
Edited by tdziemia
08/01/2021 1:02 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2353 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  1:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The magazine you're trying to remember might be Highlights. Hidden pictures was a favorite feature of mine in the 60's
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20380 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  1:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just look to see if I need or want it. I never look for slight differences.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
2548 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  2:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't usually look for very minor stuff but I usually notice stuff before I know what it is.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5030 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  3:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The magazine you're trying to remember might be Highlights.

That's the one!
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eagle_Eye to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for the replies.
It was indeed Highlights magazine!
Thank you for jarring my memory.
Boys life, I remember that one too.

Pattern recognition for me is becoming a problem as I primarily CRH Cents.
If I pointed out all of the extremely subtle design changes that I noticed change from year to year it seems.
A haircurl slightly changed in position from the previous year.
Things like that stand out to me and its quite maddening!
Add die wear and circulation wear into the mix and it can make me spend an hour or two studying the coin die pair that I am looking at.

I wish I found this world of errors and varieties decades ago!
I didn't start really looking at coins until I inherited my Grandpa's and his and my father's collection.

I wish I knew the coin dealers name who turned me onto this world.
I've since moved out of that area.

I just really love staring at coins!

EE
Learn More...
Australia
13820 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  11:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You've all probably heard the story of how the Secret Service trains its agents to spot counterfeit banknotes. They don't spend hours studying counterfeit notes, they spend hours studying genuine notes, so that when a counterfeit comes their way, the differences jump out at them immediately.

Error/variety hunting is much the same. If you spend hours looking at regular, non-variety coins, when a variety comes your way, it just jumps out at you - without you even consciously knowing why, at first.
Of course, the trick then is telling the difference between a "genuine variety" or "genuine mint error", and post-mint damage.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 392Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05