Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Portugal 3 Vintens Quandry

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 256Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2428 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  09:32 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Bacchus2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi - I have this coin - excuse the bluey picture.

The obverse seems to be this numista coin - of Joao V - note the legend. ND (1706-1750)
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces28437.html

However the reverse seems to be of this coin - note the "SIGNO" at 12 o'clock. ND (1799-1816)
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces35468.html

That's quite a gap in the mintage years for it to simply be a mule of some kind.

Happy to take any thoughts.
Learn More...
United States
20531 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  11:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@bacchus, did you get this from a squirrelly source? Perhaps a modern fake? I'm not super-knowledgeable about these, but just throwing that out as one potential reason...
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2428 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  12:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bacchus2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm fairly confident the coin is old - its an obscure coin worth about 5 - with minimal collectors interested in it. It certainly not a modern fake - though it could be a contemporary one I suppose - but I doubt it. It looks legit.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
302 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My apologies in advance if this is completely off-base (I know nothing about the coins of Portugal), but is this simply a coin-alignment vs. medal-alignment issue? If I rotate by 180 degrees one of the two reverses of the coins you show from Numista, they seem very similar besides some differences in the size of the lettering in the legend. I don't know if the size of the lettering is a key indicator of type, however. I note the first coin listed from Numista states it has coin alignment, but for the 2nd one it's not specified whether it is coin or medal alignment.
Edited by hokiefan_82
08/01/2021 2:51 pm
Valued Member
United States
412 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  2:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add willieboyd2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am not sure what the problem is.
The coin looks like Krause KM 175, both sides.

https://www.brianrxm.com
The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
Coins in Movies and on Television
The 1949 San Francisco Mexico Peso Restrikes
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
302 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  3:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This better explains what I was talking about in my earlier rambling post. The top picture is your coin, the bottom is the coin in your first link (KM# 175), with the reverse rotated 180 degrees.

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2428 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  3:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bacchus2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes that's it. Just having a senior moment doh! It's medal alignment which threw me off.

Thanks for the help.
Learn More...
United States
20531 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ah good. Glad to hear that it isn't a fake!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 256Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05