Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

An Interesting And Forgotten Coin In A Drawer We Found When Moving.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 435Next Topic  

Canada
42 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  11:48 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Sid Belzberg to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

We sold our collections over a decade ago but found a few interesting leftover coins from those days. This coin is a 1617 Taler Davenport 724 from my wife's hometown, then Stetin part of the German State of Pomerania, today Szczecin Poland.
The coin is reputed to commemorate the centennial of the reformation but some historians have said that during Philip 11 reign at the time the economy was difficult and they imposed among other measures a very unpopular Beer Tax on Stetins inhabitants.
The matter was resolved peacefully and the reverse legend "SAPIENTIA NON-VIOLENTIA. ANNO. MDCXVII." which translates to "wisdom is not violent" referring to Phillip's peaceful resolution in a wise nonviolent way and depicting him guiding
a boat through a storm.
Without further ado here are the coins that we just had graded at the FUN show in Orlando.
Please enjoy

Pillar of the Community
United States
4146 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  12:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
497 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  12:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numister to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sweet find
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18997 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  03:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am envious.
You have scored!
I wish I could move my drawer, and find a coin like that!

I implore you to keep it!
Why? -
? Could this coin be the first step back into serious numismatics for you?
Learn More...
United States
20648 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  06:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a beaut! Thx for posting.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
United States
208 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  07:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kenwright396 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful and interesting find. Thanks for sharing.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5359 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  07:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5030 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  08:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful coin and great background!
I also collect coins from this part of the world due to my ancestry (Polish, but the family was originally from the Warsaw area, though now spread a bit all around).

Certainly it would have taken a steady hand at the tiller to guide Pomerania through an era when major powers like Brandenburg, Sweden and the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth were vying for power in this region, and would shortly after Philip's death (1618) use religious differences (and dynastic squabbles) as a pretext for wreaking havoc in this area during the 30 Years' War.

A few of us here who are working on OFEY collections also have some late 15th c./early 16th c. Pomerania minors minted in Stettin/Szczecin.
Edited by tdziemia
08/02/2021 08:24 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60872 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  08:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Impressive looking coin for sure!
Learn More...
United States
103894 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
5219 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  02:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add swamperbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sid Belzberg

Very interesting story and a great history behind a superb find on your part. Welcome to the forum.
My book on Counterfeit Portrait 8Rs is available from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Counterfeit-.../1500497177/ or from me directly if you want it signed.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 435Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05