Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Lincoln Cent Error? PCGS 67? (2012 D)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 424Next Topic  

United States
23 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  12:10 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Dwhulk23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

*** Edited by Staff to Add Year / Mintmark / Denomination to Title. Titles are Important! ***
Edited by Dwhulk23
08/02/2021 01:39 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4138 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  12:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Blurry pictures of a common cent. Money wasted on a TPG slab as far as I'm concerned. Value. 1 cent.
Edited by jimbucks
08/02/2021 12:26 am
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  12:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dwhulk23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The first picture is to show the description. You obviously read that 0.01 PCGS 67. I am certain Ray Charles could read that. The second picture, the one that matters, is what appears to be a double eye.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3648 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  12:53 am  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
C'mon jimbucks, at 67 in a PCGS holder that's a $30 coin. But OP needs to post an upright image as I'm too old to stand on my head and look at the computer.
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  12:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dwhulk23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, but that is the best picture of the eye with the equipment I have. So my questions:
a) Is it possible?
b) Is there somewhere to send this to have it looked at?
Edited by Dwhulk23
08/02/2021 12:59 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
40813 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  04:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks more like a ding on the bridge of the nose. $62.50 http://www.numismedia.com/rarecoinp...proof=&plus= but does not justify costs of slabbing. Besides,if that is a ding how does it make a MS67?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
801 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  05:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

A ding was my first thought as well.
smat
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3216 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  07:15 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

Here's the full obverse image of the coin from PCGS. The mark on the nose looks like a bag mark. This coin seems to have several marks like this. Not an error, just Post Strike Damage.

Click the picture for a larger image
ANA Member ID: 3203813 - CONECA Member ID: N-5637
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Pillar of the Community
United States
5304 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  07:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A mint state coin showing a few light dings, including the one on the nose near the eye. The linear trace of the ding appears to extent as a crease into the eye.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60672 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  08:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Always amazes me that someone would put up the money to have something like this graded.
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  12:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dwhulk23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you zoom in on the picture from PCGS you can see the parallel line under the eye. The imaging they did was not directed at the actual eye. So I am not really happy with this website. I honestly though there would be helpful people with absolute experience and knowledge. I find ZERO. Nobody has yet to answer my 2 questions. Some pillar in the community you guys are.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3648 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  12:32 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for posting the image in upright orientation.

Your original thread asked no questions, but if you mean the cryptic question marks in your title: I think "Error?" has been answered twice, as the eye has an indented crease related to the bag mark on the bridge of the nose. So, no, not an error. If by " PCGS 67?" you are asking if that is an appropriate grade, that also was answered as no, the coin does not seem to be that grade.

Sorry if you found our replies to be off the mark, and since we can only guess at what your two questions were, by my guessing they were answered and answered correctly. Additionally, a doubled eyelid would be a variety and not an error.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3216 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  1:43 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your questions have been answered, but it looks like you didn't get an answer that you agreed with. The mark on your coin is just a contact mark or damage. Post-Strike Damage. PSD. The image from PCGS shows several contact marks of almost the same size and shape as the damage to eye, so the coin may be slightly over-graded from what I see.

So, as for your two questions...
a) Is it possible? Yes, but not on this coin. I can't find a 2012-D with a doubled eye listed, but there may be one or more still out there that haven't been identified. This coin shows only damage.
b) Is there somewhere to send this to have it looked at? Sure! You can send it to any number of places for attribution, some will charge a fee, but it's going to be the same answer that you getting from the members here. It's just a contact mark.

The many members of CCF are some of the most helpful, knowledgeable and experienced error and variety collectors on the web. Don't turn on the attitude if you don't get the answers that you want and then expect the answers to change. You got honest and informed opinions about the coin you posted. If MY answer fell short of what you expected, I'm sorry. I will not offer any of my opinions on the coins you post in the future. I'm out.
ANA Member ID: 3203813 - CONECA Member ID: N-5637
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Bedrock of the Community
United States
40813 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  2:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dwhulk23
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Edited by John1
08/02/2021 7:42 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2344 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  3:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I honestly though there would be helpful people with absolute experience and knowledge. I find ZERO. Nobody has yet to answer my 2 questions. Some pillar in the community you guys are.

Opinions vary. Hope you find what you're looking for elsewhere.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8806 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So I am not really happy with this website. I honestly though there would be helpful people with absolute experience and knowledge. I find ZERO. Nobody has yet to answer my 2 questions. Some pillar in the community you guys are.

You never even originally specified your question and you're angry at us?

My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/236574/
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 424Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05