Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Acid Dated Buffalo Nickels

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 473Next Topic  
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  12:05 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Dan Hamernick to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am curious as to realistic selling value of the acid dated coins - assuming the acid dating process did not include the whole planchet.

By being no date it is by definition a Poor, Fair or AG grade.

I can understand great rarities like 16/16, 18/17-D are going to have appeal regardless of condition. My question is on the semi-keys that would retail $10-$100 in full date Good.

A search of "sold items" really has not shown me much.

Your thoughts on what percent of Good realistic retail I could expect when offering for sale.

My THANKS

Dan
Valued Member
United States
409 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  12:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PlumCrazy814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I can understand great rarities like 16/16, 18/17-D are going to have appeal regardless of condition.

That's kind of a catch 22 then isn't it? How would you know date unless you acid treated to find out?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60667 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Guessing an acid-treated coin would be a "No Grade" at the grading companies.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
6024 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  1:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

The market for restored date Buffalos is very thin.

You will be lucky to get a few cents over face value for the common date restored stuff. There is not a huge demand

Each key date restored coin has to stand on its own merits. The quality of the restoration and eye appeal of the end result plays a huge role in value for these. There is no "price guide". Determining a price is a negotiated effort between the seller and buyer.

I've seen 18/17 over dates sell anywhere from 75$ to 250$. The higher dollar coins were always full coin restorations and were in TPG slabs

As far as getting rid of your rejects and unsold inventory ——Some coin wholesalers still buy no dates and and culls for ten cents. That is where a lot of the acid treated stuff eventually ends up at the end of the day, anyway.

There is a lot of info here on The CCF regarding this topic. Just search for "restored date Buffalo nickels". Good luck!
Edited by westernsky
08/02/2021 11:00 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
9908 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  4:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There was a member here on CCF that sold "restored" Buffalos on ebay, mainly key and semi-key dates from what I recall. I think his ebay seller name was Buffalo resurrections but I don't recall his CCF handle...
1883-O Nut
Learn More...
United States
103630 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
5328 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  4:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Guessing an acid-treated coin would be a "No Grade" at the grading companies.

It would be listed as DETAILS coin -- if that.
But I suspect the TPG's would not even put it in a slab.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60667 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's what I meant by "No Grade".
Pillar of the Community
United States
9908 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  6:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
weerdsteev?

That's it jbuck.
1883-O Nut
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15859 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  9:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This dealer specializes in Buffalo nickels ; He has many acid dated examples for sale . Check out his prices :
http://thecollectorsfriend.com/

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
United States
2423 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  11:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think that there is much of a market for these.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1182 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just completed the entire series for a Littleton album with full, four digit dates. None were acid treated. In the process of assembling the series over a six month period there is one seller in particular who lists quite a few that are selling at, or slightly above on occasion, what non-treated average. In all fairness, this seller clearly states the fact in his listings. So it becomes a matter of whether or not a treated coin is acceptable to you, the buyer, and how "badly" it affected the coin.
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There are no problems only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 473Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05