Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1893-S Morgan Dollar PCGS MS67 Auction

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 1,097Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17480 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  11:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even in the True View it's ugly. If I were in the market I would not pay nearly as much for this coin as I would for a lower grade attractive one.
Gary Schmidt
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18951 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  11:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The toning will still knock it down the equivalent of 2 to 3 grades for me, in terms of value.

Would have held all of it's value, if completely untoned.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3994 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  11:46 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Toning does not ever affect a Technical grade only the eye appeal of
the coin .
I think there are many of us who would love to own and enjoy
this outstanding rarity .
Heck I still drool over the VF 35 NGC that I owned for years .
United States
41 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  12:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add FlyingTiger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A hefty dab of Wright's Silver Crean and 15 minutes of elbow grease and it could be an MS-68 most likely.Even proof like maybe!
Learn More...
United States
103630 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  12:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Toning does not ever affect a Technical grade only the eye appeal of the coin
I agree.

While the TrueView looks better, the toning is still not appealing to my eyes.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1370 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shadowtrooper78 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I always liked this particular coin when looking at top pop 1893-S Morgans. https://www.PCGS.com/cert/13663977 Thought it had the best eye appeal of the top 10
Learn More...
United States
103630 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17480 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Toning does not ever affect a Technical grade only the eye appeal of the coin .

Agreed, and the "damage" to the eye appeal reduces the market grade. But supposedly the top TPG's market grade. So if they believe this coin has a market grade of 67, they must think it has a technical grade of what 70?
Gary Schmidt
Learn More...
United States
103630 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But supposedly the top TPG's market grade.
This may be incorrect, but it has been my understanding that PCGS tends to emphasize technical, whereas the others will bump up for exceptional eye appeal. (Time for me to do some previous topic searching.)
Pillar of the Community
United States
8336 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jack Lee R.I.P.

What a couple of Morgan dollar sets he assembled over the decades.

"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
United States
4344 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Conservation is a technique to preserve coins with environmental damage. This coin has no such damage. It is simply toned, and that probably adds value and justifies the grade since the surfaces are original. Dip it, and kiss that MS-67 goodbye. You'd now have an MS-65 example if the graders don't bag it which might happen since this is a known coin and the cleaning could not be disguised. Toning can't be removed without some level of surface impact.
Edited by fenton
08/03/2021 7:32 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1263 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2021  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hadleydog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

If memory serves me correct, there were 2 PCGS MS-67 coins...... the Vermeule MS67 (the one in the OP) and the Norweb coin.
The Norweb coin was cracked from a PCGS ms-67 holder, and conserved by NCS (trying to get it in a 68 holder). The conservation removed the toning, but left the coin with a chalky grey color. It was dropped to an NGC 66, and I believe that NGC purchased it back shortly thereafter. Ouch.
Fan of the toning or not, at least it supports the originality of these pieces and makes them easily recognizable.

Valued Member
Canada
225 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2021  11:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add whatdowehavehere to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The images are scanned; it has a LOT of *pop*. Plus, it has never been dipped. For a '93-S in Unc-that's a Rarity in itself
Edited by whatdowehavehere
08/12/2021 11:13 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 1,097Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.51 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05